Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas recap, and an easy recipe

"I want to see what presents are in my stocking!" Chickie told us at 6:30 yesterday morning.

She "got it" this year--she was really excited about her stocking, and opening presents, and she even understood a little about Jesus being born--though I'm pretty sure that to her, the presents were the most important part of the day!

Zoodle liked having some new items to chew on, and other than that, it was a normal day for him.

Christmas really started on Sunday when Chickie and Zoodle dressed in their fancy, festive clothes for church.

Photobucket

When we opened presents yesterday, Chickie was very excited about getting the jump rope she'd been asking for. Watching her try to jump with it was great entertainment. It looks like she may have inherited my (lack of) coordination--let's hope she outgrows it!

Photobucket

Zoodle thought this book was great.... It tasted like chicken.

Photobucket

For dinner we had tamales, refried beans, and Spanish rice. I was very excited, because I managed to make Spanish rice with instant brown rice--healthy, easy, and really good! Here's the recipe.

Easy Brown Spanish Rice

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp oil
Diced onion (1 large or 2 small)
Garlic, minced (4 cloves or 2 tsp jarred)
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cans undrained diced tomatoes (plain, Southwestern style, or Ro-Tel)
2 cups instant brown rice

Heat oil in large skillet or medium pot over medium-low heat. When it is hot, add diced onion and garlic. Cook until onion is quite soft.

Add cumin, chili powder, broth, and undrained tomatoes. Turn heat up to high. When liquid boils, add rice and stir. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for five minutes. Turn off heat, and let sit, covered, for five to ten minutes. Stir, and serve.

And I suppose I should post a photo of the finished product. Please, I beg you--don't be jealous of my fancy serving bowl.
Photobucket

13 comments:

Sandra said...

Soo, cute. What Chickie may lack in ability with the jump rope, I'd say she made up for in style points for her confident stance! :)

And I love the one of Zoodle mid-chew. That look seems to be a combinatio of, "Ohoh, I got caught." and "Wow, she must not mind that I'm chewing on it -- she's takig my picture!"

Mike said...

What cute kids! Sounds like you all had a very "crummy" Christmas! :) I love the picture of Chickie...and Zoodle's "Am I not supposed to be chewing this?" expression is priceless! :)

The rice looks fantastic! I haven't eaten breakfast yet so my tummy's a-rumbling now! :P

Happy Boxing Day, although you probably don't celebrate it!!

Mike
http://365Sonnets.blogspot.com
http://SomeTurbidNight.blogspot.com
http://VoglioTempo.blogspot.com

P.S. I have never been so jealous of such a fancy serving bowl!

Call Me Cate said...

The looks on their little faces - that's what Christmas is about right there. And dinner looks yummy too. Now I'm going to need to explain to the husband why I want rice for breakfast.

~hon~ said...

Awww...adorable, beautiful children! They never fail to make my heart happy and my face smile. GOD is good in your life for blessing you a beautiful family. GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY, my dear friend!

forever folding laundry said...

Very cute! Looks like a great Christmas! (We had tamales, beans, & rice as well - it's my favorite Christmas Eve dinner!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, this is a little off topic, but I was wondering if you could tell me how to set up favicons. I've made one for my website but I don't know how to get it on there *embarassed*.

Love the matching PJs!

Anonymous said...

I just ABSOLUTELY love, love, love the first picture! It deserves some kind of award!!!

BEAUTIFUL!

Anna said...

Great Pictures! Glad to hear you had a Merry Christmas!

Michelle Brunner said...

What beautiful children! I love the matching pjs also! I am glad you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!

Crazy Mo said...

LOVE the pics Beth! You have a gift for capturing the kids in the most candid poses. I love Chickie's skipping pic. Ta Da! As though she's just performed an Olympic dismount to wow even the French judge! And Zoodle ... it's like he's saying "What?!!" You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful family.

C. Beth said...

Sandra--It's funny you say that. I do find myself wondering about the mixed messages I send taking pictures of "naughty" moments before correcting the behavior. :)

Mike--I know, I know, my fine serving dishes are the envy of everyone around me. A regular Martha Stewart, I am.

Call Me Cate--Ha!! So, did you eat rice for breakfast?

~hon~--I'm glad they make you smile! God bless you too! :)

FFL--Mmmm, aren't tamales just perfect for Christmas?

Anonymous--Sure! Here's a link to the post I did about favicons. Hodge Podge) (Scroll to bottom of post.)

Pienovski--Thank you! Trying to get two kiddos of this age to take a picture--it's a challenge.

Anna--I hope yours was great too!

Michelle--I hope yours was great too! I think you traveled to see family, right?

Crazy Mo--Thank you! I just love the Chickie jumping pic--we got video of it too!

Simplicity said...

I love the matching pj's!!

Your family is so gorgeous!!

Mike said...

Ach, "Martha-fancy-bowl-Stewart" is your middle name!

('Tis the season for favicons :P)

Mike
http://365Sonnets.blogspot.com
http://SomeTurbidNight.blogspot.com
http://VoglioTempo.blogspot.com