Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Listening to a house

ClinkClinkClink
A cookie cutter
(for Play-Doh-turned-gray)
dropped by
still-small fingers
onto the tile floor

SkcchSkcchSkcch
Toenails (grown too long)
on the persistent dog
at the back door
ready to exchange prowling
for air conditioning

TickaTickaTicka
A toy being used
as a spoon in a plastic bowl
stirring imaginary food
stirring a toddler's
growing mind

And
Bang and
Clonk and
Hhhh and
Eeee! and
Aaah... and
Crinkle and
Tap and
Jing!

Children seen.
Children heard.
(Dog too.)

Happy home.

5 comments:

C. Beth said...

Anonymous--All I do is delete your spam comments as quickly as I see them. I can virtually guarantee none of my readers are clicking on them. You may either stop wasting my time and yours by discontinuing them, or you may continue, and I'll have to turn on word verification or, if necessary, comment moderation.

I really, really don't want to do that, so please do me a favor, and yourself, by taking this blog off your spam list. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Cute poem!

Dan Felstead said...

C. Beth...

Really neat idea..."Listening to a house"...when I saw this on my dashboard I had to see what it was about. I often post pictures of old houses and these are the words I have been searching for...(I won't use them of course) but the idea really is fascinating to think about! Great post.

Dan

caryn said...

Great poem

Fannyfanackapan said...

I really enjoyed 'Listening to a House'. I shall listen to mine today and let you know what it says.