Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Accidental fashion

I really think a lot of fashion trends through the years must have been accidentally created.
  • In the deep South on an old cotton plantation: "Ah do declare, ah just adore mah new embroidery hoop. It's the biggest one in the whole county, big as a carriage. But how in the world could ah have lost it? Oh, there it is...under mah daughter's dress. Scarlett, shame on you for taking my hoop.... Why, that looks pretty cute!"
  • In an American high school, years ago: "Dude, you have holes in your jeans. Loser." "Dude. You're the loser. Obviously I ripped those holes on purpose." "Oh. My bad. Cool, dude."
  • During the Cold War, an American agent was captured in another country. Finally she escaped, but not after having the lower half of her body cruelly forced into an ultra-tight, ultra-sweaty combination of nylon and spandex, in a particularly horrifying torture session. As soon as she sneaked out of the dungeon where she was being kept, she started hearing whispers from the other women on the street. She picked up snippets like, "Skinny!", "Svelte!", and "Her legs are so tan!" So she used the torture device as a prototype, and thus was born control top pantyhose.

I made the poor choice of letting Zoodle play with my sunglasses yesterday, and I shouldn't have been surprised when they didn't fare well. So keep your eyes open for the next big fashion trend. But don't just keep those eyes open...

Photobucket

...keep them covered by super-cool new one-earpiece sunglasses, the hottest new example of accidental fashion.

12 comments:

beckiwithani said...

What is it with toddlers and sunglasses? Hope they were cheapos... I personally never spend more than $10 on a pair, since I know what Molly will do to them.

Hey, maybe you can start a taped-up sunglasses trend!

Call Me Cate said...

I have a pair like that created accidentally from being sat on. Maybe you could put them in the Etsy shop - Zoodle Originals!

Unknown said...

I'm watching for your store to open in Amazon Marketplace!

Lyndsay said...

I find it eerie that the words "svelte" and "tan" were in the post I wrote last night.

You know, svelte is so common and all, LOL!

Leslie said...

hey....I actually have a pair of those! lol :) But... I can't blame the one-earpiece look on my munchkin! Mine just fell off! lol

2cats said...

I have a son. He never wanted to wear my glasses. I escaped that particular fascination.

caryn said...

Like another comment, I have many glasses like this, however, I can't blame Ellie they have all been broken by me! For some reason that I'll never know, I never throw them out right away!

Scriptor Senex said...

I don't need a Zoodle. I sit on them, lose them, drop them and generally abuse them all by myself. Funny really because ordinary specs - which I've worn since childhood - survive OK!

Barga said...

I am asking this on here, instead of via email, because i know other parents read your site, and might answer too


I have always wondered, why do you blog about your children. I mean, your kids do not consent to this, and odds are this is prime tool for bullies later in life. I have always wondered about this, and have striven not to ever talk about my friends or family on my sites without their permission.

That said, i am going to wear my glasses like that...

C. Beth said...

Barga--Good question, and one I'm not sure I totally have the answer to. So I'll just write what comes to mind now and you can be assured you've got me thinking.

I like to write, and I write what I know, which these days is my kids. I guess in the past people wrote memoirs or magazine articles; now we write blogs. (Of coruse the books & articles are still there too.) I know as they get old enough to care what people think I'll be a lot more careful as to what I write about them. I'm very careful what I write about friends & adult relatives. (You'll rarely see me say something negative about my husband, not because he's perfect but because it's a respect issue.)

As for bullies...I just doubt a future bully is going to make a huge deal out of, say, the pooping issues my daughter had when she was 3. But if she still has pooping issues at the age of 8, I don't think you'll be reading about it here.

Barga said...

I understand why you talk about them, and all of that, but i have been where they are...

See, my mother was a writer, and back in the day she went on many TV shows... ANyways, when i saw what she would say about me on the shows (you know, the cute, funny things...) i was absolutly mortafied

Acnespan said...

Like another comment, I have many glasses like this, however, I can't blame Ellie they have all been broken by me!