Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm a girly girl again

I love that over the last few summers, casual dresses have been in fashion. Chickie has several this season and wants to wear them almost every day.

But for so much of the last few years, I've had a breastfeeding baby, and most dresses just aren't nursing-friendly. (I'm pretty sure the people at my church, as supportive as they've been of me nursing in public, don't want to see me with a dress pulled up and bunched around my neck.)

I realized recently that Zoodle is at the point that I rarely need to nurse him in public. So I decided it was time to go shopping for new dresses! I went to Ross and lucked out. I found two dresses that are both comfy and casual enough to wear on an everyday basis. (And I spent a total of $30 on the two dresses, so the price was definitely right!)

This one is that floor-length, flowy silhouette that is so popular this summer. I'm only 5'2" and didn't think I could get away with a dress this long, but somehow it seems to lengthen me. Very fun!

Photobucket

I almost didn't take this next one off the rack, since I tend to have too many muted colors in my wardrobe. But I decided to try it, and it was just so flattering that I snatched it right up. The jersey knit will be so comfy! And the length is good--it's a couple of inches above my knees, so it makes my legs look longer, but it's not short enough to make me look like I'm trying to be 15 again.

Photobucket

How about you girls? Are you enjoying the dresses that are in fashion this summer?

13 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

I've ot 2 dresses leftover from my pregnant days a couple of years ago that I've dragged back out. Wore one that is that floor length flowy style and got lots of compliments so I've added it back into the regular repertoire. The other is flowy but shorter and very comfy.

I'd hopped to build a cute summer wardrobe of skirts and dresses that would be easy to toss on, comfy and casual but feminine. I never really found exactly what I was looking for.

bARE-eYED sUN said...

for what it's worth, our vote goes to second dress: fabulous, baby!

;-)

..
.ero

Unknown said...

Both very nice looking! I'd never have had the courage to buy the first one because I too tend to have a lot of muted colors in my wardrobe! Very nice...and somehow...I pictured you taller! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of colorful skirts so I wear those year round, in fashion or not!

Call Me Cate said...

I like them both but something about the second dress just seems so "you" to me. And no, that's not a dig about the muted colors. I love the color actually and think it seems very versatile.

Unknown said...

I love love love the print of that dress. Gorgeous.

Barga said...

The other day, when I was out dress shopping, i bought one just like that

Anonymous said...

Yes I love them! The first one looks like one I wore to the prom (except in yellow) in the 70's! My daughters wear long dresses and love them. You should have modeled!

Bobbi said...

LOVE BOTH DRESSES!!! Especially that first one. Tres chic!

I recently bought a "floor length" cotton dress at Old Navy to wear to a casual wedding reception. I got away with wearing it once in flip flops, but I really think its too short. It lays 2 or 3 inches above my ankles. I'm so sad. Its a super comfy dress and I love that its long. At 5'8 I'm just at the cusp of being too tall for some things, but not tall enough for the tall section! Luckily, I can sew and I'll salvage the dress. Either I'll let the hem out or take it up to just below my knees!

TesoriTrovati said...

Great finds! Those are really cute. I have some dresses, but my office is so very casual that even a sundress would be dressed up! But on Wed, when I represent my jewelry business at my BNI meeting, I dress up to show off my wearable works of art and my professional side. Some of the best dresses I have are the ones from the clearance rack! I got one last year for $5...and it so super flattering on me and is even in not only color (cream background with a brown filigree) but patterned to boot! I normally dress in black (that is my very favorite color) and let the accessories shine. I just bought a couple of dresses from Goodwill of all places...I am just waiting to make a piece of jewelry to coordinate :-)
Enjoy the day, Beth! I have been reading and lurking but not much commenting of late. But you know I love your blog!
Erin ;-)

Laurel said...

I like the Brown dress not pictured here :-). ha!!

Our Scoop said...

Very very cute! I love Ross. Probably my favorite store after Target! I would LOVE to wear dresses but I hate the way I look in them. They are SO beautiful though!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love, the long one. It is definitely something I would wear if I were younger. Darling dresses, and I'm guessing, like me, that nothing raises your spirits like something new to wear!

I did just buy some new things I really like at Chico's, but you probably aren't familiar with them, because they cater to people MY age! :)