Saturday, August 16, 2008

Oops...guess I Mucked that one up....

Chickie loves construction equipment. Which means she loves the Bob the Builder TV show and characters. My friend Karen recently hooked me up with a box of "boy toys" that Chickie will love, including several small, die-cast Bob the Builder vehicles--cool, quality, metal toys. I've told Chickie she can choose one of them when she poops in the potty for the first time. I'm certainly not above a bribe...um, I mean, a reward.

Today we were at Goodwill and I saw a plastic backhoe toy, about a foot long. Of course, since it was Goodwill, the price was right, so we went home with it. Chickie was psyched. She started calling it Muck (who is actually Bob the Builder's bulldozer, not his backhoe, but it's still a good name).

A little while after we got home, I looked over to see Chickie standing at the breakfast room window. Chickie standing at a window means one thing. It's her special place. She's creating a lovely gift in her diaper that Mommy will soon be unwrapping. Get out the wipes and haz-mat masks.

"Chickie," I said encouragingly, "would you like to poopie in the potty so that you can choose a Bob the Builder toy?"

"No thank you, Mommy!" she replied politely. "I got Muck! I got big Muck!"

So let me get this straight. Brilliant Mommy bought Chickie a construction toy that, being bigger than her die-cast Bob toys, is better in her toddler mind. And brilliant Mommy gave it to her, no strings attached.

My apologies to her future college roommate, whoever you are. Because I'm convinced I'll be changing her diapers until the day she leaves home, and after that...it'll be your turn.

6 comments:

Anna said...

ohhh Beth, isn't it funny how these toddlers have us wrapped around their stinky fingers! LOL

Angie said...

I'll be changing diapers with you. I recently pulled out the big guns: she can have a bike when she uses the potty all the time like a big girl. So far it hasn't worked.

Our Scoop said...

Hilarious and BRILLIANT! But what can you expect from a product of her mommy and daddy (both brillian and funny!!). Ana - you are super super smart!

Our Scoop said...

Ok, Beth's not so brilliant college roomie cannot even spell brilliant! oops!!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry- I know this seems like it won't pass, but it will. Chase used to tell Christian "you can't go to preschool until you're fully potty trained." We would ask if he wanted to try pooping on the potty and he did the same thing. "No. Christian is not potty trained. Christian can't go to preschool."

He did eventually get it though! (Best day of my life!)

LEstes65 said...

Sweetie - I got my oldest out of diapers (for #2 only) right before we moved to Texas. Which means he was...wait for it...FIVE. It was an anxiety thing for him. But I'm saying that not to freak out. But because someone reminded me that you don't see many teenagers with diapers on. Ana will decide to hit the potty. Don't sweat it. There's no magic to it. It's really up to her. Rewards or not. And then my 2nd kid? He decided that cowboys don't wear diapers last summer. He was 3. Go figure.