Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I guess play dough really does foster creativity...

...because it's pretty darn creative to put it up your nose.

When I saw the offending red gunk in Chickie's right nostril this morning, I tried getting it out with a cotton swab.* First she was annoyed--but then she started crying in obvious pain, and it became clear it was more than just annoyance at the little bit of swabbing I'd done. I called the doctor's office, and they said there is a danger of aspirating something that's stuck in the nose and since I probably hadn't gotten all of it (a good conclusion considering the wailing toddler), I needed to take her to the ER.

She calmed down after 10 or 15 minutes, but the nurse still wanted us to go in, because any time something is stuck up the nose and not 100% retrieved, it can be potentially dangerous. So we spent a couple of lovely hours at the new hospital near our home. There was no evidence of the dough in her nose or ears; and her lungs sounded good. The crying was probably because she sucked the stuff into her throat, and homemade play dough has a lot of salt, which can be irritating. (She was crying about her mouth/tongue hurting.) When she eventually swallowed all of it and the irritation calmed down, she was fine.

*Note: If your kid (or spouse or friend) sticks something up their nose, don't use a cotton swab to get it out. It can push it further in. Guess I should've Googled that before taking matters into my own hands!

P.S. I feel like this post should be funnier, because, really, what's funnier than toddlers sticking things up their noses?! But my guess is I'll be able to really see more humor in it when just a little more time has passed. Right now, I objectively know it's kinda funny, but mostly I'm just annoyed at the way it messed up my day, not to mention dreading the hospital bill!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh beth! I am so sorry! I guess no more posts about your cute little colorful dinosaurs, huh? I hear ya about hospital bills... kids aren't cheap nor is the ER!

rebecca duncan

Shannon said...

How awful. So sorry you guys had to go through that. It probably won't seem really funny for a while, and then you can use it to embarrass her in front of her friends. (If you choose). :)

LEstes65 said...

Funny will come much later. Right now, it's real and scary. I'm glad it's all ok.