Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jokes from a 3-year-old

Chickie has just hit the age where she wants to tell jokes. Here was one she told me yesterday:

"Why does a chicken sit on eggs? Because it doesn't have a chair!"

I think she probably heard that joke on the PBS show Sid the Science Kid, which ends each episode with silly jokes.

The thing is, she knows it's funny, but she doesn't know why. She's determined, though, to make up her own jokes. They are funnier than the original...simply because they make no sense. Here is one she told me yesterday:

"Why does a truck sit on a sheep? Because it doesn't have a chair!"

She uses this formula over and over, and the punchline is always the same. And I always laugh at my 3-year-old comedienne-in-the-making.

8 comments:

Christy said...

My 3 year old's formula of choice is the knock-knock joke. But like Chickie, they don't make sense! Just pick a word to fill in each part:
"knock-knock
who's there?
APPLE
apple who?
APPLE CAR!"

Unknown said...

That is too cute! I can't wait for Ian to make up jokes. I am giddy with the anticipation of the cuteness.

Call Me Cate said...

At least she understands that questions are supposed to have answers. My husband doesn't even get that. She's very conversational, even if the logic is still in development.

Our Scoop said...

So cute! I think that is so cute how she made it her own!

Janna said...

Hey there! I haven't commented recently but I'm awarding you with a blog award over at my blog. You should be able to read about it on my blog by the end of the day and congratulations!

nopinkhere said...

I've been trying to teach my son knock-knock jokes but he just doesn't get it yet.

Renata said...

PLEASE tell me someone has taught her the "Knock Knock/Who's there?/Banana(X50000)/Orange you glad I didn't say banana? one!!! HAH! Neverending hilarity!

Anonymous said...

I love this! It reminds me of when Gunny was about that age and we thought it would be cute to teach him a little joke to tell his grandparents when they came over that evening. Welllll, he found out he really liked making all of us laugh, and then I had to explain to him that a joke is only funny the FIRST time a person hears it. So, ala Chickle, he started making up variations. We had created a 3 y/o Rodney Dangerfield!