Sunday, November 15, 2009

Accidental volunteer

Thursday I got an email from Kenny, our pastor, about a Saturday morning men's breakfast. I wondered why exactly I was on the list because, well, I'm not a man. Then at the end of the email, he said, "Women, please encourage the men in your life to get involved. :)" So Friday I asked The Engineer if he was going, and he confirmed that he was, but that he hadn't RSVP'd. I responded to Kenny's email,

Kenny--Sorry for the late RSVP but The Engineer WILL be there. Do you want me to prepare any food?

I was thinking maybe I could quickly whip up some muffins or something. Then I got Kenny's reply,

Hey Beth, that would be great if you want to prepare the food!

Um, wait a minute, I thought. Did I just accidentally volunteer to make all the food? For a breakfast less than 24 hours from now? Apparently so.

I'm sure I could have graciously clarified my offer, but Kenny let me know that only five guys had RSVP'd, and there would probably be a couple of extra. Yeah, I thought, I can make food for five or 10 guys.

So I sent The Engineer to the grocery store on his way home from work. I made some dough for cinnamon rolls, let it rise, and refrigerated it. I was actually excited; if I'm going to accidentally volunteer for something, it might as well be something I enjoy, like cooking.

There was just one problem. I was in the middle of a novel that had me spellbound--one of those I really didn't want to put down. I wanted to spend my evening reading.

So I did. As I assembled cinnamon rolls Friday night, and made Green chili egg casserole Saturday morning, I propped the book open on the countertop and multi-tasked a bit. And I didn't even substitute salt for sugar or make any other distracted mistakes. Everything turned out good.

Cooking and reading...two things I love to do. Who knew how easy it would be to do them at the same time? I hope all my future accidental volunteering experiences are just as satisfying as this one was.

8 comments:

beckiwithani said...

Just tell me you didn't read while driving the food over to the breakfast ... I mean, there's nothing wrong with reading and driving; your legs just aren't long enough to effectively use your knees to steer.

Call Me Cate said...

I'm only allowed in the kitchen with supervision when I'm "fully" functioning. I can't imagine Joe allowing me to read and cook at the same time. Of course, maybe if I was cooking for him...

Wondering how I can encourage someone to accidentally volunteer for a few things around my place.

nopinkhere said...

I do this all the time! (Cook and read that is.) I usually have an upstairs book and a downstairs book going at the same time. The downstairs one often spends some time in the kitchen; I've gotten good at reading while stirring. I'll have to look for that book. I've enjoyed others of his, so I'll probably like that one too.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I take my laptop into the kitchen - that way I can read, or write, or blog... and I can listen to the radio when I'm using my hands for the actual cooking.

I'm glad your 'volunteering' went so well ;)

Scriptor Senex said...

Whilst I have admiration for your abilities I have even more for your commenter Rachel. Doesn't she keep getting flour on the keyboard???

Gerry Hatrić said...

Green chili egg casserole?? This I have to see! How about posting a pic or recipe?

Unknown said...

Sounds like it turned out to be a very rewarding accident after all. On top of doing something you enjoy you made a group of men very happy with a lovely meal.

LEstes65 said...

Man, you are gracious and a wonderful wonderful person. I'm glad I know you.