Friday, November 6, 2009

A goat for Christmas? Or maybe a chicken?

I'm excited about something we're planning to be involved in, as a family, this year. I'll preface this by telling you I'm going to be writing about a Christian missions organization. I know that my readers have various religious beliefs, and I like to give a heads up if one of my posts is going to be specifically about faith.

A friend of mine from high school, Megan, and her husband Joel work for an organization called Gospel for Asia. GFA's goal is to share Jesus' love with people in Asia, by providing support for native missionaries, and by giving practical help to many Asian families.

I really appreciate that money donated for the work in Asia all goes to Asia. People like Megan and Joel, who work on the administrative side here in the U.S., raise all their financial support themselves.

They have a Christmas program that I think is so exciting! The GFA Christmas Catalog gives people the opportunity to purchase gifts that will help Asian families or missionaries in practical ways. Here are some examples:

Gifts to help impoverished Asian families:

  • A pair of rabbits: $11. Rabbits reproduce...well, like rabbits, so one pair can provide lots of food and income for a family.
  • Water buffalo: $460. From transportation, to plowing, to providing milk, a water buffalo can truly change an Asian family's lives.
  • BioSand water filter: $30. A village can have cleaner water and greater health, with this simple filter.
  • Jesus Well, $1000. A Jesus Well provides clean water, and an opportunity for missionaries to share about Jesus, the Living Water.
  • House: $5000. Many Asians have lost homes to natural disasters, and a simple, new home can be provided for $5000.
Gifts to help missionaries:
  • Tambourine: $5. A simple tambourine can be used by a missionary to play worship music.
  • Bicycle: $110. Many missionaries spend a lot of their time walking from village to village, and a bicycle allows them to travel much more quickly.
  • Church building: $11,000. In the U.S., $11,000 doesn't even cover the chairs at many churches! In India, it's enough money to build an entire church.
I'm not yet sure what we'll be giving, but I'm excited thinking about all the possibilities! There is a lot more at the website if you'd like to check it out here. And here is a short video (under three minutes) about a family who gave, and a family who received.



For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me....

I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

-Jesus, Matthew 25:35,40 (NIV)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great cause!

Jen said...

that's wonderful!

Call Me Cate said...

I'm not sure which organization it was through but last year we gave my MIL a sheep. I mean, we gave a sheep in her name. Big fan of this sort of thing and Christmas is a great time of year to not only buy for those we have to but to also remember others that are in need.

Gina said...

I had never heard of this before until I got a mailer from them last week & I thought it sounded like something I might like to be a part of. Now you're writing about it! Hmmm...I wonder if God is trying to tell me something. :)