Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Daddy-daughter date

When I was a little kid, my dad would do weekly "dates" with me. For a specified time (maybe 30 minutes or an hour?) we'd make paperdolls or write and illustrate a book of silly poetry. Very occasionally we'd get ice cream. It's a precious memory!

So I was excited when The Engineer came home early from work yesterday to take Chickie on a date to the movies. I recently saw How to Tame Your Dragon with Little Sis, and I loved it. I knew Chickie probably would too.

I have a great relationship with my dad, and I want Chickie and The Engineer to build the same thing...one paperdoll or movie at a time!

10 comments:

Shannon said...

That is great! I hope they enjoyed the movie. Lately, D has been teaching Diva how to play soccer. It's their thing, and I love seeing them have special time together.

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. My dad use to take my little brother and I on little weekend outings to the park or too a movie. He worked a lot and wasn't around much, so it was so great to get some time with just him. It is a wonderful thing to feel cherished by your parents through the little things.

Heidi said...

Too cute! I hope this is something my husband does with our daughter (and son!)

Maude Lynn said...

My husband and daughter have weekly "dates," too. It's so cute!

Eternal Lizdom said...

It doesn't happen weekly but it does happen regularly- parent/child dates. Teagan and Jeff especially love to take a trek over to Fry's (tech store) and then get ice cream. For my dates, I like to take the kid to a park for a walk or to play on the playground.

Grand Pooba said...

That's a really good idea, I'm a Daddy's girl too!

Unknown said...

The reason we only occasionally got ice cream was that's all we could afford. I will always cherish those hours. I remember them better than almost everything else in that season of my life. :)

Love, Dad

SurvivorBlessing said...

As a mom, I love to spend one-on-one time with my son! And he loves it too. After having a second child, it also makes him feel special, having to 'share' his Mami all of a sudden!
IT'S GREAT.....

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tradition to pass on!

Call Me Cate said...

Sometimes I desperately want a daughter JUST so Joe can go out on daddy-daughter dates.