Saturday, November 8, 2008

Baby Shower...The Menu

The baby shower went great. I made the food. A lot of food. It was close to perfect for a group of 25-30 people. We only had 12. I don't cook for large groups often and had no idea how much to make. The shower was from 2-4; more of the food would have probably been eaten if it had been a lunchtime or cocktail-hour event.

If you like to cook, some of these recipes might appeal to you!

Beth's Baby Shower Menu

(Most of these recipes are found online; just click the name of the recipe to access it.)

Fruit with Fruit Dip

My notes: You can't go wrong with fresh fruit--I used grapes (red, black, and green), pear slices, and apple slices. This fruit dip is ridiculously simple, with two ingredients mixed together (marshmallow cream and cream cheese.) The mom-to-be particularly liked the dip. Not shockingly, I prepared way too much fruit. And dip.

Pita Chips with Hearts of Palm Dip
My notes: These homemade pita chips were nicely flavored. I copied some of the AllRecipes.com reviewers by spraying the pitas with canola oil, sprinkling them with the spices, and then cutting them, instead of using the method suggested on the website. Olive oil would have been better; I just didn't have any in spray form. The Hearts of Palm dip is very similar to artichoke dip and was delicious. Note that this was the only item we came close to running out of; we ate about 3/4 of it. With a large group you'd want to double the dip recipe. Next time I think I'll reserve a bit of the mozzarella and sprinkle it on top of the dip before baking.


Crackers (store-bought) with Raspberry Cheese Spread
This spread was so good and very impressive-looking! It made a lot, and there was a ton left over. In fact, I'm going to have a little as a bedtime snack in a few minutes.

Pesto Pinwheel Appetizers
(From a holiday brochure put out by H-E-B supermarket)

1 box (2 sheets) frozen Puff Pastry Sheets
1 jar Canyon Foods Basil or Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (or another brand)
6 T. pine nuts (I got mine in the bulk foods section)
8 oz. (1 c.) shredded Italian-blend cheese
1 egg, beaten with 1 T. water

1. Thaw folded pastry sheets 30 to 40 minutes at room temperature or until pliable.
2. Heat oven to 425F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with non-stick spray. Beat egg with water in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Unfold each pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Spread half of pesto over each pastry sheet, to within 1/2 inch of top, bottom, and sides. Sprinkle cheese and pine nuts over pesto.
4. Starting at the short side closest to you, roll up each pastry sheet tightly, like a jelly roll. Wrap each in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator or freezer a few minutes to chill thoroughly.
5. Discard plastic wrap. Cut each roll crosswise into 12 to 15 slices with a sharp knife. Arrange slics on prepared baking sheets, cut-sides down. Brush tops with egg mixture.
6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, in 1 or 2 batches. Cool slightly and serve.

My notes: I made double, but we had over half of them left. I made half with basil pesto, and I meant to make the other half with sun-dried tomato pesto but accidentally bought tomato bruschetta instead. I put it through the food processor and used it. I brushed the large, uncut rolls with egg on all sides before cutting; it was easier, and it worked. They were good! The Engineer had some of the leftovers, which we heated in the oven instead of the microwave, to preserve the pastry's crispiness.

6 comments:

Inkpot said...

I'm glad the baby shower went well. The food sounds delicious. Makes my mouth water just to read about it. Thanks for sharing the recipes.

mitdacthaman said...

have a nice day !!!

C. Beth said...

Inkpot--No problem! :)

Nitacthaman--You too!

Anonymous said...

YUM! can you throw mine too? :o) how did the games go? what did you end up doing?

C. Beth said...

Rebecca--I wish I could throw yours! :)

I did the "make a baby with play dough" game and the matching game suggested by Hillary--matching various baby words (on cards) and giving away candy as prizes--so the person who matched the two "Big Baby" cards got Whoppers as a prize, and the person who matched the "Breastfeeding" cards got a Milky Way. It was fun.

virginia said...

if you keep olive oil in your fridge , it can be spread if you don't have a "sprayer". healthier choice than butter, obviously, and keeps it from going rancid.