Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Micro: Krazy Krustless Kids

Last week I made the Vermont Cheddar Cheese bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It's an awesome recipe--both delicious and easy. (It's just the Master Recipe with some shredded cheese thrown in. I like to sprinkle cheese on top before baking too.)

Photobucket

With crusty artisan bread, of course the crust is the best part. Add crispy, baked cheese to that crust, and it's even better. But I have typical children--they just don't like bread crust. (I should be concerned about their senses of taste, but hey...they've eaten boogers. I already knew not to trust their culinary preferences.)

So when Zoodle wanted some of this bread recently, I came up with the perfect solution. My plate is on the left; his is on the right.

Photobucket

I said the solution was perfect...not pretty!

5 comments:

Keitha said...

That's a great idea. I love the crust too!

Call Me Cate said...

Mmm, cheesebread... Some day Zoodle will realize he's missing out on the very best part!

Lara said...

I use the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day Master Recipe all the time. I have found that if I lower the temp and increase the time it's less crusty so Cade can eat it. Otherwise, he chews and chews and never can swallow it!

The cheese one looks yummy! I need to try some of their other recipes - the only other one I've tried is the Whole Wheat sandwich bread and I didn't have good luck with it.

2cats said...

I think since the first time you mentioned this book, I have only bought store bread two times. I always have dough in my fridge. I usually make dinner roll type things though. I just made some for my son to take home with him today. I love that it is so simple.

Linda said...

My 6yo daughter, who has been in food therapy and will no touch normal kid foods like pizza, mac & cheese, or chicken strips, finally agreed to try the artisan bread this weekend. OK, so it was warm from the oven (and nice and soft), and I put plenty of butter and sugar on it... but cutting the slice in half and letting her eat the middle has worked well. Hubby and I are more than happy to clean up the crusts!