Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cute or ridiculous?

Thanks to another blog, I became aware of a new product:



Yep, they're Huggies diapers made to look like jeans--complete with faux pockets and faux brand label! The aforementioned blog thought they were ridiculous. But I'll admit it....

I think they're adorable.

They're being marketed as a good thing for kids to wear in the summer, and I agree--they're much cuter than a normal diaper, for a kid who's toddling around in the heat without pants on.

Are they impractical? Sure. But most of us occasionally venture into the realm of impracticality with our babies! If your baby doesn't have hair, she doesn't need a hair bow. If your infant isn't walking, he doesn't need shoes. If your toddler isn't carrying around spare change, she doesn't need pockets in her jeans. We buy those things because they're cute. So if Zoodle wasn't potty training, I'd consider buying some denim-look diapers! (Especially since, at least on Amazon, they're the same price per diaper as the non-jean ones, when comparing similar-sized packages.)

The only review on Amazon (when I checked Wednesday afternoon) was from a die-hard cloth diaperer, riled up by a company who has the audacity to try to make cute disposable diapers (and by parents who dare to use "paper" diapers at all!) Well, I'll admit, cloth diapers these days usually have the corner on cute. But for parents who have chosen the convenience (and expense) of disposables, it's kind of fun to have an option that's fashion-forward!

So, what do you think? Cute or ridiculous? (And you can be honest.... I'm not going to be wearing them!)

Disclosure: I'm not being paid to blog about this product. I'm not even really reviewing it, since I've never tried it!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

They had these on Ellen's Mother's Day show and I think they are cute! Especially if the prices are comparable to non-denim diapers.

Eternal Lizdom said...

I think they are cute! I would totally have bought them for Zach.

But on the flip side... I kind of think they were designed for the folks who take their baby to Wal Mart in nothing but a diaper and a sippy cup...

Call Me Cate said...

They're not going to do anything positive to distance babies from plumber's crack references, that's for sure.

Tiffany said...

I saw these the other day and have vowed to by some for our new baby. I think they're adorable!

Unknown said...

They are cute and I would buy them for Ian if they came in a smaller package. I saw them at Meijer the other day (Meijer is super store in this region for those who don't know) and they were in huge boxes. I find them more of a novelty for fun, than a diaper to put my kid in all the time. Also, I would be worried that the color would rub on this shirts, and my furniture.

Faith said...

Ridiculous, but not to the point of offensive because "not cloth" diapers are cute. (& I was a cloth diaper-er).

I agree with Lizdom, however, regarding Walmart shoppers.

Side Note: Toddler pockets are not for loose change. They are for rocks & sticks & lint.

Unknown said...

I think they're cutely ridiculous. ;-P

They look cute...very cute. For people who don't use cloth diapers...if the price is comparable...I don't see the big deal. It would be better than taking your kiddo out in a plain diaper and shirt-and too cute under a little dress (without having to add bloomers to cover things up!)

On the other hand...it's unnecessary. Like you pointed out though...so many things we do (for our kiddos and ourselves) are unnecessary. It is also a little silly to have faux jean diapers on a baby.

I know so many will either love it or hate it but honestly-I could go either way. People who cloth diaper are going to cloth diaper. People who buy disposables are most likely going to keep buying them. I don't think this will destroy either industry...;-)

The Clines said...

I think they're cute, but I'm glad to be past the diaper-buying days!

Lara said...

My first reaction is they are creepy, but your commenters do have some good points. They could sort of substitute for pants during the summer.

I am a die hard cloth diaper-er and I think cloth is super cute. But I am well aware that cloth diapering is unglamorous and not for most. I will never judge someone else for picking convenience!

Traci said...

When I first saw it I was thinking how dumb. But they are kinda cute. It's almost as if they are wearing a cover up without the added weight or non-comfort of it. I'm so glad I don't have to buy any more diapers.

Margaret said...

They are totally cute, and I'm sure I would have purchased at least one box, just because. :)

peace...

nopinkhere said...

I was appalled when I saw them in the HEB ad last week. But then, my mostly bald baby girl has no hair bows either. Or any shoes since she's not walking yet. (Just dirty toes because I need to mop.)

Anonymous said...

I like them. I have a baby girl in diapers. I think I just may pick up a box of these for summer. I am not a fan of the bare diaper look, but at the same time, bloomers are a pain. These would at least look nicer than ugly white diapers do under skirts and dresses.

LEstes65 said...

I will tell you, they had a sample diaper next to the display at our grocer. And it looks NOTHING like the picture. If it really did look like the picture, it might be cute. Personally, I thought they were cheesy looking and I wouldn't have put them on my boys' cute bums. But since my boys are now 6 & 9, it's a non issue. HA! But as my 9 yr old pointed out, "They don't look at ALL like that picture on the package!"