Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The "art" of summer running

This is me, running outside in April:

Photobucket

I'm thinking, "Oh, it's nice to be out here! The weather is great! I feel sorry for those people who run on treadmills. They're missing the wonderful opportunity to discover their cities on foot! Ahh, life is good!"

This is me, running outside in late May:

Photobucket

I'm thinking, "This air is so humid. It's thick, actually thick, to breathe it. This is gross. Disgusting. I'm miserable. And now the sun comes out from behind the clouds? I can't deal with hot sun right now! That just makes me mad!"

So yesterday I joined a local rec center, where I'll have access to a treadmill and indoor track. Yep, for much of the summer I'll be one of those poor runners, working out inside instead of exploring the city around me. And boring indoor running sounds positively divine after the 90% humidity in which I ran last week.

So hopefully, this morning, this will be me....

Photobucket

8 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

Fantastic drawings. I'm especially impressed by the treadmill. Treadmill running can be mind-numbing but if you listen to your podcasts, you should be just fine. Also, I found that being able to people watch or watch a tv (something with a news crawl can be nice) even w/o the sound was a good distraction.

Lola said...

I'm certain the the general gym members are thrilled with your see through workout wear! :)

I don't mind the treadmill if I can do a shorter run (like 45 min tops) - after converting to an outdoor runner, I just can't imagine doing much more than that- and I HAVE to have something to watch (YouTube is great for watching running videos while on the treadmill)

Sandra said...

Call me a wimp, but I prefer working out at a gym. I love an occasional stroll through our neighborhood, but "exercise" just seems to work better for me in a gym. Love the drawings. :)

Unknown said...

Boy you weren't kidding about your 'wimpy legs' were you? lol. I loved Lola's comment as well...how on earth do you get into the gym with transparent clothing? {On the other hand...maybe that's how lol}Loved the drawings!

Traci said...

That was awesome.

Laurel said...

Yes on joining the rec center...too cool!!! And, yes on the cute blog post.

SurvivorBlessing said...

Me too. I love the gym. I kind of like to see right in front of me the progress I made.... it might not be much for you, but it is total encouragement for me. I don't get to go that often....
If I just want to walk, I actually take a book and read at the same time! So kind of me-time on the treadmill.....

Oh what mother have to do to get a little Me-Time!!!

Sasha said...

Do they have TVs on those treadmills? I totally agree that outdoor running is out of the question in the heat here- it gets so humid! But I do need a diversion (favorite TV works great) to get through a long treadmill run.