Sunday, May 9, 2010

Becoming a mother

On my first Mother's Day, in 2006, I read this at church:

Last year on Mother’s Day I’d known for three days that I was going to have a baby.
This year on Mother’s Day my baby is exactly four months old.

Oh, how things have changed…in a year.

Last year my time was my own.
This year my time is my baby’s.
Last year I felt important when I had a successful month at work.
This year I feel important when I comfort my crying baby.
Last year I changed my hairstyle every few months.
This year I change a diaper every few…minutes.
Last year I was proud of my tight abdominal muscles.
This year I’m proud of my baby’s tight grip on my finger.
Last year my husband hated pink.
This year my husband’s favorite outfit for our daughter is pink.
Last year we accessorized our home with fine art.
This year we’re accessorizing our home with brightly-colored baby gear.
Last year I was excited when I found time to take a vacation.
This year I was excited when my baby found her feet.
Last year a new guitar caught my husband’s eye and made him a stronger musician.
This year a new baby captured my husband’s heart and made him a stronger man.
Last year I had the freedom to think of myself first.
This year I’m learning the greater freedom that comes from putting someone else first.
Last year I thought of miracles in the theoretical sense.
This year I hold a miracle every day.

Happy Mother’s Day to every mother here. I’m so privileged to join you this year.

Motherhood has continued to change me over the last four years...and while being a mom can be frustrating, confusing, and challenging; I still absolutely love this phase of my life.

Happy Mother's Day to my mom, and all the other mothers out there. May you find joy in your mothering today, and every day.

7 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I just wanted to stop by and wish one of my favorite mothers a Happy Mother's Day.

Heidi said...

Love it, Beth! Happy Mother's Day!

*Monica said...

Beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Happy Mother's Day

Laurel said...

Beth..what a special poem for Chickie! You will share this with her years and years from now when she has her own baby :-).

Lola said...

What a beautiful tribute to motherhood- thanks for sharing! Happy Mother's Day to you!

(and thanks for the sweet comment on my blog about my race the other day!)

Mocha Dad said...

I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

SurvivorBlessing said...

Happy Mother's Day to you!!!