Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Zoodle and Uncle Becki

My sister Becki has always loved kids, and they've always loved her. So I think it was somewhat disappointing when Zoodle didn't automatically take to her during our Boston trip. Here's what she wrote on Facebook:

My 1.5-year-old nephew keeps staring at me, really perplexed. You can just hear the thoughts in his head: "Who ARE you, you Mommy imposter? You look like her, but I know you're not her!" He hasn't let me hold him yet. :( I think it really freaks him out.

He really was giving her the oddest looks. It wasn't that he couldn't tell us apart--if that had been the case, he might have been more attached to her than she would have wanted! He could tell the difference, but seemed personally affronted that she'd stolen Mommy's face.

When Becki pointed out that she hadn't yet held Zoodle during our visit, I tried to find excuses for his behavior. When Becki wanted to do me a favor by changing Zoodle's stinky diaper, she asked him, "Do you want me to change your diaper?" He adamantly shook his head "NO." I assured her that maybe it had nothing to do with her; he just didn't want to be changed. Zoodle disproved my theory by happily nodding when Becki and I both asked him if he wanted Mommy to change him. Little twerp!

But Becki continued to work her kid-loving charm on Zoodle, and before bed on Monday, our last night there, this sight greeted my eyes:

Photobucket

Hooray! Let's hope it's the beginning of a loving, life-long auntie/nephew relationship! And let's hope that next time we see Uncle Becki, he'll let her change his stinky diaper.

(By the way...when Chickie saw Becki two Christmases ago, Chickie was not yet two years old, and didn't get the "aunt/uncle" thing. She called my sister "Uncle Becki," and it stuck.)

9 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

Aww, I'm glad he finally warmed up to her. I can bet it's a little confusing to him.

This "Unca Cate" approves. Joe and I are both "Uncas" to his niece and nephew.

2Wired2Tired said...

Cute picture. Glad he relaxed a bit around her, it had to make eveyone feel a whole lot better. And what a great smile!

LEstes65 said...

Knowing your awesome kids, and knowing that your sister must be super awesome since she's the twin of you (who is super awesome), I have no doubt you all are in for a life time of love and laughter, hugs and holding.

Special K said...

What a great post! My kids drive me batty by being okay with some relatives and pushing others away. I love that your sister loves kids. I love kids and I know the feeling. Can't wait til my sister and brother have kids so I can have neices and nephews!!!!!

Special K said...

Oh, and my mom is one of 8 kids and when my aunts came by the house, even not being twins, it would irk me a bit that I would call them "mom" incorrectly if I looked too quickly!

Special K said...

Oh, and because you need more comments. We used to mess up my aunt pat and uncle paul all the time in name, so they were each officially "Pat's Paul" for years!

Janell said...

Love that picture. So cute! I'm glad he finally warmed up. I know the feeling a little bit. My sister lives in Alaska now, so on the rare occasion I get to see her, it takes my two year old nephew almost the entire visit before he will warm up enough to be picked up! What is an admiring aunt to do??

Janell said...

P.S. I love the binky smile. So reminds me of Dee. (Good luck with that transition - it was &#$@ for us!!)

Janell said...

P.P.S. Becki, I love your shirt!