Thursday, September 3, 2009

Not quite Supermom

I'm doing some real estate work right now--some old clients (who are also good friends) contacted me to help them with a transaction. It's been keeping me very busy the last few days.

Yesterday was especially busy. I had a continuing ed course in the morning, and in the afternoon and early evening I was working on various details of my clients' transaction, interspersed with tasks like getting kids down for naps and cleaning Zoodle's poop out of the carpet.

You'd think after a day full of parenting and work I'd feel like I could do anything, like I was Supermom.

Nope. Not Supermom. Just Exhaustedmom.

I love being able to work occasionally. It's fun to use the business side of my brain, and it shakes up my normal schedule a bit. It's interesting and challenging. But when I do work, I realize just how hard it is to handle a family and a job.

So this rambling post is in tribute to the moms out there who work out of the home all the time. Who somehow manage to handle it all...or if not all, at least enough that the whole family stays afloat. I'm not sure how you do it...but I think it's pretty amazing.

9 comments:

Our Scoop said...

I agree! I have no idea how a work-out-of-the-home mom does it!! Poop out of the carpet??? that might deserve a separate entry :)

Our Scoop said...

I agree! I have no idea how a work-out-of-the-home mom does it!! Poop out of the carpet??? that might deserve a separate entry :)

Our Scoop said...

Sorry I posted that twice! I know you like comments but not the same one twice!!

Special K said...

Go Super Beth!!!! I find that I am a much better mommy on non-work days. Actually my best days are the 2 days a week I'm home with the kids, I want to be creative, come up with fun activities and have energy to take them places. On work days I've kind of hit max overload so I'm not really in the mood for incessant chatter or being creative.

LEstes65 said...

Even though I'm a LookingForWorkMom right now, it still takes up my whole day. So once I pick up the boys from after school care, I still have the same dilemma of no energy to make dinner. And thanks for this post. Even when I worked at home, it was full time, no time for kids. They were sent off to day care or school. So I'll accept this post even though I didn't work outside the home. Hee!

Anonymous said...

working even part time, I am exhausted!!!! teaching preschool with 3 kids of my own.... I am beat. I know how you feel girl!

2cats said...

I did it until my son was going into second grade, after that I was able to stay at home with him. I loved every minute of it.
When he was in seventh grade I went back to college and worked part time. I think he took care of me then.

Monica said...

Thanks for the props! :) Sometimes I wonder how I do it myself!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I've had people refer to me as a super mom when they here what all I'm involved in and that I work full time. The funny thing is that I generally feel like there is always MORE I could be (or should be) doing! Ha! And you totally nailed it- ExhaustedMom. Exactly.