Tuesday, September 22, 2009

You know you're a Portlander if...

Portland, Oregon is a really cool city. I can see why my brother and his wife wanted to move here. The weather this week has been close to perfect; natural vegetation is lush; and the residents are almost unfailingly friendly. The Pacific Northwest definitely has a culture of its own, and I've found myself smiling at it this week.

You know you're a Portlander if...
  • ...your recycling bin is a dumpster, twice as big as your trash bin. (So cool!)
  • ..."doing your hair" means putting it in a ponytail.
  • ...a "fancy up-do" means brushing your hair and then putting it in a ponytail.
  • ...vegan is totally in--and not just vegan food; vegan belts, earrings, and shoes--because we're all striving for less eco-guilt.
  • ...in your wardrobe, fleece is an all-season fabric.
  • ...you see a small, 1950s home for $400,000 and think, "What a bargain; we'd better snatch it up before someone else does!"
  • ...you go to a park and have trouble finding an open swing for your child since the whole population of the city is outside.
This is a great city, and I could get used to leaving my hair straightener unplugged. Thanks for the cool weather and the warm welcome, Portland!

Photobucket
Chickie and Zoodle with my awesome brother and sister-in-law


Chickie and I enjoying cool morning weather (with Zoodle on my back in a carrier)


Chickie playing in the sprinkler/wading area at Saturday Market (Portland's artisan market where my sister-in-law often sells awesome homemade candles.)


Zoodle enjoying the water

Tomorrow we head home for a couple of days before our Saturday flight to Boston.

8 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

Sounds like a town I would definitely get on with... I've never figured out hair straighteners! :)

SurvivorBlessing said...

I LOVE THE PICTURES! Looks like you are having a great time! And it is not cold at all.... I expected you to say that it is freezing up there... Hope to hear from you soon!
A*

Call Me Cate said...

Ahh, the West Coast... Such a different way of life out there.

So this might be odd to say, considering, but you look a LOT like your sister in that picture. And Chickie looks like a rockstar. And Zoodle's shirt is adorable (I don't think we've seen him model it before).

Glad you're all having fun.

Toni said...

It's nice to see a post about how nice Portland is. I'm trying to get a couple girlfriends together to head out there at the end of February.

(Dean Devlin is trying to organize a Leverage convention thing and since I enjoy that show so much I thought it would be a good girls weekend trip.)

I'm pretty excited, I just hope we can save up the cash!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Love the pics!! Looks like you are having a great time. I know nothing about Portland but now it sounds like a place that needs to be on my list!

Strange Mamma said...

Love the Zoodle shirt! It's one thing to see a project someone has made but its something else to see it out there in everyday pics. Have a good flight home.

LEstes65 said...

Love love LOVE Chickie's glasses!!!

jessjess77 said...

You forgot a couple of things

1) You live in a place known for its rain, but don't own an umbrella. (Seriously though, if we see anyone using an umbrella we assume they are either a) a tourist or b) a transplant from California)

2) You have webbed feet and a slight coating of moss. ;)