Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm a recovering nerd.

You know how sometimes you hear a gorgeous celebrity talk about how they were nerdy as a teenager, and you think, "Yeah, right. 'Nerdy' to you probably meant one zit on the top of your nose that didn't stop you from being prom queen."

Well, I'm certainly not a celebrity, and you can trust me when I tell you I am a genuine, recovering nerd.

Fellow blogger Lindsay's post on her love of reading brought me back to junior high. One day I heard someone talking about nerdy kids, the type who read books as they walk down the school's hallway. And suddenly I realized, no matter how good that book is, people think I'm a nerd because I can't put it down as I walk between social studies and math. The scary part is, I honestly didn't realize that was a geeky thing to do. So I stopped...unless the book was really good. Then I occasionally peeked at it as I strolled to my next class.

Fast forward to college. College, folks. I mean, my junior year. Of college. A friend had to inform me that, no, white socks should not be worn with black shoes. With shorts. Oops. (And it was a guy. That I had a crush on. Gah!)

Convincing you yet? Or should I tell stories about...
  • getting lost repeatedly in the hallways of my high school?
  • writing notes back and forth--in poetry format--to a friend in my chemistry class?
  • checking out books from the library about Star Trek: The Next Generation and devouring them excitedly (and thinking that was cool)?
Thankfully nerdiness is far more acceptable when you grow up and the ability to think is suddenly valued. That makes me feel comfortable holding onto some of my geeky past. So when I engage you in a one-sided conversation about the merits of Battlestar Galactica (the new series, not the old one, and the best television show ever), just nod, smile, and be glad I'm not wearing white socks with black shoes.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I'm an unreformed nerd myself. It's a regular occurrence for me to be reading my book as I walk down the street. I've been known to snort when I laugh. And I honestly had no idea that white socks with black shoes wasn't considered okay, either (although I've never done it because it reminds me of Michael Jackson).

I think I tried harder to hide my nerdiness when I was in school, but I don't care too much anymore. How sad is that?

Lyndsay said...

Awww Beth, I feel like a celebrity on your blog :) Fellow nerds unite! It's always nice when you can relate to a fellow "reader" because the non-readers think you are nutty!

Angie said...

Well, Beth, thanks for letting me know I'm a nerd! LOL I always thought I was a geek myself. I read at stop lights. {BLUSHES} I watched the Star Trek Next Gen marathon on SciFi on Labor Day. And I can't believe the last episode of Battlestar! It was so unfair to leave me hanging like that!!!! Oh, and I always have a book in my purse in case I have a spare minute to read. Currently it's The Dark Tower series book 4 Wizard & Glass. I'M A GEEK AND PROUD OF IT!!

Our Scoop said...

You are hilarious!! I love your confessions :) I agree that nerdiness is more accepted as an adult. PHEW for my sake :)

beckiwithani said...

Why on earth would you want to recover???? It would mean no more Battlestar conversations (which, by the way, are SO not one-sided ... says the sister who convinced you to watch the show in the first place....)

A tangent on Battlestar - I can't decide if I'm crushed or not about it ending. I mean, I'm glad they planned out the last season knowing it will be the last season, because they could make sure they revealed all in a non-rushed way. And I'm glad they decided to end it before it jumped the shark. But ... part of me is already mourning. :( It's like when you get to the end of one of those rare books where you just don't know how you'll deal without these characters in your life anymore.

And on a REALLY off-topic tangent, you must must must read The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm reading it out loud to Donal right now, because when I read it I couldn't just let it go. I had to share it. I guarantee you'll read it in your metaphorical junior high school hallways! And probably at traffic lights, too.

MrsCaywood said...

LoL. This is hillarious! Ha. Wanted to let you know that I came across the CUTEST poem for our little boys!!!!! You might possibly already have it, but I wanted to share just in case. Ttyl!