Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Who needs a magic carpet...

...when you have a magic couch?

Photobucket

In October I blogged about some fabulous garage sale finds including a kid-sized, foam, fold-out couch decorated with Sesame Street characters. Little did I know just how wonderful that little couch would be.

Chickie often wakes up during the night and comes into our room to sleep. We want her to feel comfortable doing that, but a few months ago, I was just getting sick of being so crowded that I couldn't rest well. So we moved that little couch into our room, unfolded it into a little bed, added a pillow and a couple of blankets, and told Chickie that she could sleep there if she woke up and wanted to come into our room.

To our relief, she loves it. She can come downstairs by herself, slip into our room, and go back to sleep on that little couch, with, usually, only a little sleep disruption for Mommy and Daddy.

And the Chickie Nap (remember that endangered species?) has even had a slight resurgence. Recently, Chickie has wanted her Sesame Street couch during her "quiet time" (formerly nap time.) Thankfully, it's very light and easy to carry upstairs. She often relaxes on it, reading, and a few times recently she's even ended up sleeping on it. Maybe she's not quite as ready to give up her naps as she thought she was.

This little couch bed has other uses too. Zoodle thinks it's absolutely hilarious to crawl up to it and put his head down, just like his big sister.

Photobucket

(The wetness on his pants and shirt is water, by the way. I do change his diapers. I promise.)

And when it's folded up as a couch, what better place to cuddle with teddy bears?

Photobucket

A magic couch. Every family should have one.

14 comments:

Strange Mamma said...

Too cute. I have to say my first thought at the wetness on his pants and shirt was not a diaper malfunction but, "HOLY COW that's a lot of drool! There's gotta be teeth on the horizon with that much drool!".

Sandra said...

What a great buy, even if you'd had to pay full price! And what a great solution for Chickie wanting to sleep in your room at night.

SandyaS said...

Really adore ur kid's.. they are so cute and specially the snap where zoodle is trying to get on to the couch. :D

gr8 ideas you have got to make it a comfortable home for your kids :-)

Crazy Mo said...

Again, I am left with the question: Why don't they make this in adult sizes? Kids have the coolest things!

Anna said...

we have a lightning mcqueen one and sometimes DH actually lays on it in the middle of the night for a power nap while he's supposed to be working! LOL

Isabella said...

What a great little couch! I've always wondered if the child-size furniture is really worth it...this one certainly seems to be. :)

Call Me Cate said...

I want a magic couch! Seriously, it's great that it's working out so well for you.

And the pictures... I was thinking - nothing more adorable than a sleeping child. Then - nothing better than a gleeful Zoodle (and I totally thought he had an accident so thanks for the clarification). And then - kids reading are pretty awesome too.

But mostly I was just thinking that I want my own magic couch.

Call Me Cate said...

Oh, oops, she's not reading (or looking at a book). But she could've been!

Dani said...

How cute! I think that would be a perfect gift for my little boy. He turns two next month and would probably love this- he fights naps like demons. :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

We have one- themed in Winnie the Pooh, though. I bought it when my daughter was about 9 months old, I think. She's now 4. And this little thing has stood the test of time. It's also a great thing to take to Grandma's house for naps. And has been our safe haven when battling tummy bugs and are up all night puking. The cover unzips and washes easily.

Love the magic couch!

Lyndsay said...

I knew our house didn't feel complete; it is missing a magic couch!

Tiffany said...

Thats totally cute! Hmm I'm thinking this could be something that we took down to the grandparents to use as a bed since Zilla will no longer stay in the pack n play. Hmm also good for home since he apparently has developed a fondness for sleeping on the floor NEXT to his super cool train bed! Thanks!

septembermom said...

I love those soft, kid furniture pieces. All of my kids got so much use out of a soft Mickey chair that still has a special place in our playroom. My daughter would love that cute couch to hang out with her baby dolls :)

C. Beth said...

Heather--HA!!! Actually, there is a little tooth TRYING to poke through. And lots of fussy pulling at the ears and such today. One day he'll have a tooth. One day....

Sandra--Yes, I love bargains like this, that would have been worth paying several times as much for!

SandyaS--Thank you so much! And thank you for visiting my blog!

Crazy Mo--The thing is, I think we adults, with our old bodies, would not do so well on one of these flimsy foam couches. But you know kids--they can sleep on rocks and wake up rested. ;)

Anna--Ha! His secret is safe with me.

Isabella--Totally worth it!! You should get one! :) Peanut would probably like it; as you can see, Zoodle does.

Call Me Cate--Oh, I have to agree--nothing more beautiful than a sleeping child, especially if it's a child who's been driving me batty all day. :-D

Dani--Oh, yes, a great 2-year-bday gift!!

PamperingBeki--Thank you!

Liz--Oh, great idea to take it to someone's house for a nap!

Lyndsay--I'm sure Kate's life would be complete with a magic couch! :)

Tiffany--Oh, fantastic idea!!

septembermom--A perfect dolly hang-out couch! :)