Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tweet, tweet

Are you on Twitter? I'm guessing your response is one of the following:

a. Yeah, I LOVE Twitter!
b. Yes, I'm signed up for it but don't really see what the big deal is.
c. No. I know what it is, and it sounds really stupid.
d. What's Twitter?

I'm definitely in the "a" category. But for those of you in the "d" category, here's a brief description: On Twitter, you can update your "Followers" (not cultish, I promise) on what's going on in your life. The trick is, you only have 140 characters for each "tweet" (update)--and spaces count. On your Twitter homepage, you'll see, in a simple, easy-to-read format, all the updates that have been left by those you choose to follow. You can even use Twitter on your phone if you're into text messaging. (I'm not.)

My tweets in the last few days have included the following:

Chickie just poopied in the potty, on her own, without me even asking her to. I got tears in my eyes. (From the happiness, not the stink.) (138 characters)

The Onion drinkware--very funny http://tinyurl.com/dlycok (5 characters)

Jaw dropping here--WOW, Melissa Rivers just made QUITE A SCENE on The Celebrity Apprentice. Joan wasn't exactly mature either. Yikes! (133 characters)

You can also carry on conversations with others on Twitter...and a tweet is so much faster than an e-mail, which helps me to keep up with people in an efficient way.

Twitter is fantastic. If I check it frequently, it usually takes me less than a minute to scan through all the updates that have been left by those I follow. It includes absolutely zero of the ultra-annoying applications, quizzes, etc. you'll find on Facebook. (To put it simply, I put up with Facebook. I love Twitter.)

Like all forms of online social networking--like Internet message boards, MySpace, and blogging--Twitter helps me feel connected with people. Let me clarify--it helps me feel connected with adults. That can be very refreshing for someone who spends most of her waking hours with a one-year-old and a three-year-old.

Try Twitter. You may love it; it may seem pointless to you. But just try it.

And of course, once you sign up, make sure you follow me. In a totally non-cultish sort of way.

24 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

I'm in the "I signed up but just don't get it" area. I've tried and intend to keep trying... but so far... just not me...

M. Bail said...

I'm in the "I know it exists but have no idea what the heck it is" subcategory of "c." I love instant messaging for work, and twitter sounds, from your description, vaguely like that. Maybe I'll go check it out. I thought it was just a cell phone thing so never did it...I don't even text message on my phone. I'm not overly tech indulged. I'll go check twitter and see how I feel about it!

Anna said...

I'm really trying to get into it, I love reading everyone elses feed, especially my Twilight people, but still can't get a picture on... I don't get it!

Call Me Cate said...

I resisted for a long time but now I love Twitter. And I totally follow you in a non-cult, non-stalker kinda way.

Lyndsay said...

You need category "e": I know what it is, but avoid it because I can't handle one more internet addiction.

That would be me. I'm afraid to start, LOL!

Thanks for the onion link - I LOVED IT!

Kara said...

Hardly anyone I know is on it, so I kind of forget about it. I do like following some random celebrity tweets, and I like the tweets from my local news station. Oh, and I like following C Beth's tweets, of course ;-)

caryn said...

I was thinking about signing up but I was procrastinating so when I read your post this morning I finally did. Maybe one step closer to doing my own blog!

Yeah ~ you are my first (and only) follower!!! Thank you

Dan Felstead said...

I have been on Twitter for quite a while but I jumped into it before I really got a handle on it's uses. I followed everyone I could get my hands on...I think that is the mistake. I need to whittle down my group to folks that I am truly interested in following. That way the comments would mean more to me. As soon as I whittle down the followers...I will follow you ..."In a non cultish way" of course!

Barga said...

all bow to the glorious and grand leader, C. Beth

Barga said...

also, no cult ever admits that it is a cult

Dani said...

I've heard about Twitter and never tried it, because I'm sorta a mixture of c and d. Now I think I'm just a c although I do believe it's better to try something before forming an opinion. But...well, if you want to know what I think about it, you can visit my friend's post on the subject... I pretty much agree with that. Here: http://knutsonkorner.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-two-year-old-twit.html

He illustrates the point in such a hilarious way!

Dani said...

By the way I have an award waiting for you - it's scheduled to post this coming Tuesday, so make sure to drop by the Daily Drop to get it!

silver star said...

Originally I was in the b category, but since I have more followers now, I'm an a. It is more fun if people actually reply to your tweets and vice-versa. I even tweet with the media, several news anchors and radio personalities use twitter during their shows and will even share replies on-air.

C. Beth said...

Liz--It definitely doesn't "fit" everyone!

Embee-I actually think you might like it if you love instant messaging!

Anna--Twitter's been having lots of issues lately--I think they've just grown really rapidly.

Call Me Cate--You are one of the most active tweeters I "know"! And I love communicating with you in that way!

Lyndsay--Yeah, I can understand that. I will tell you, though, for me, Twitter is SO much less time-consuming than blogs or Facebook. The key (see Dan's comment below) is to not follow too many people, if you don't want it to take up too much of your time.

Kara--I like the news aspect of it too--I follow various news outlets. Oh, and some random celebrities too!

Caryn--Yay!! :)

Dan--I think whittling down your followers would make it far more manageable!

Barga--Well, we are planning to all leave our families to live on a ranch in Montana--that's not cultish, is it?

Dani--Great link! He's very funny. Thanks in advance for the award!

Silver Star--It is fun to get direct replies--and how fun to use it with radio personalities and such!

Barga said...

wouldnt you rather be at
35° 51′ 34.36″ N, 117° 5′ 17.41″ W

C. Beth said...

Barga--Hmm, good point. However, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a totally non-violent cult (unless the aliens tell me otherwise), so Manson's last hideout might not be appropriate.

Barga said...

but, we all know that Mason didn't kill anybody

...his girls did...

C. Beth said...

Actually, I didn't know that. Note to self: Brush up on Manson history.

Barga said...

lol, i took a serial murder class, my teacher always hated that manson was included as he didn't deserve it

Now, how did you know those cordinates?

C. Beth said...

Well, either I'm a savant with an extremely detailed map of the world in my head, OR Google rocks. You believe whatever option you find more interesting.

Barga said...

i vote the middle one (i know, google rocks)

have a good night C.Beth

C. Beth said...

You too, Barga! Most interesting serial killer-related conversation I've had in a long time. ;) It's been fun!

Heather said...

hahaha - love your updates there

Congrats with the single pooper :o)

And...I totally fell asleep watching Celebrity Apprentice and had to be told by my dad who had been "FIRED". I just couldn't keep my eyes open! Bummer.

Oh...and tweet-tweet, I twitter too.

Unknown said...

ok, yeah, I just signed up for twitter earlier today...I'm new to blogging, much less twitter...Help?! Lol...