Friday, April 17, 2009

Family haircuts

In our family we use a wide variety of different hair stylists. The kids get cuts from me--free except the cost of Dum Dum lollipops. The dog goes to a skilled groomer, which costs more than I'd like, but it's about more than just the haircut. (I really don't want to be the one to trim his nails and clean out his anal sacs.) The Engineer takes advantage of $12 Tuesdays at a local walk-in place.

And after several years of hopping from one cheap walk-in haircut place to another, I've recently found a skilled hair stylist I want to stick with. Yesterday was the third time April has cut my hair, and she is fantastic.

She offers all the stuff any good stylist does--a great cut; styling I don't want to re-do as soon as I get home; and friendly, casual conversation. That might be enough for me to stick with her. But beyond that, there is one thing that puts April way above the crowd.

Her place is amazingly kid-friendly.
  • She has an assistant who is happy to watch my kids while I get my hair cut. As April said the first time I called for an appointment and told her I'd have kids with me, "That's why I have an assistant!"
  • Zoodle is going through a stranger anxiety mode, and it's fine with April if I hold my little guy on my lap while I get my locks shampooed, cut, and styled.
  • The last two times we've been there, April has brought her little dog Devo with her. Apparently the dog doesn't always care for kids, but she and Chickie are somehow best buds. Chickie is in heaven playing fetch with Devo in a spare room, and Devo is just as happy.
Now, the Engineer is suffering a little sticker shock. My haircut is suddenly costing well over double what I was paying at places like Cost Cutters. But, hey, I'm getting the best haircuts I've had in years, and it's one place where I don't have to worry about my kids going crazy or melting down as they wait for me. It's worth every penny.

And best of all...the dog is no longer getting the most expensive haircut in the family.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Angie said...

The haircut looks great. You are most definitely worth it.

Kara said...

I would pay any amount of money for a hair stylist who lets me bring my kids! April is a keeper!

Erin said...

Your hair and sanity is worth it! Don't let April go.
For years, I used to run to where-ever in what-ever mall when I needed a haircut. Half the time, it would be such an awful cut! I finally found a good hairdresser in town and now happily fork over $50 every other month.

Strange Mamma said...

Good haircuts are totally worth every penny (for you or the dog:). And it seems that people named April really give great haircuts...and tattoos. My best haircuts have been from Carrie's or April's and my best tattoo was from an April also. Tell the Engineer, if it's really bothering him, he can get his haircut from you, just like the kids.

Dani said...

That's awesome! I should find a place like this! AND yes- spend more money on cutting your hair than on the dog's hair...really! :)

Call Me Cate said...

I've finally given up on "cheap" haircuts for me. I figure as often as I go, I can afford to spend a little more. But for you to find somewhere that accommodates the kids so well is truly worth it!

Our Scoop said...

Hilarious! That sounds so true around here too! Paul and Andrew are free - done by me. Mine is cheap! Used to pay a lot - then paid little, paid a lot, paid little. Can't find a good stylist! And the dog is the most expensive here too! Until just this week. I watched videos online and bought a set of snippers and voila - Bebe is now schnauzer cut by me. I say no to the anal sac cleaning though :)

C. Beth said...

Angie--Thank you! I remember you encouraging me to go to someone good--great advice!

Kara--I totally agree!

Erin--Yes, my cuts were definitely hit or miss for several years.

Heather--Ha! I actually told The Engineer I should start cutting his hair, when I cut the kids' last. He didn't love that idea. :)

Dani--I can't believe I did find a place like this--I hope you can too!

Call Me Cate--That's the thing, I don't go often either. So it's not too terrible on our budget.

Our Scoop--Good for you, learning to cut Bebe's hair! I've thought about that, but I think Hammer is just a little too high-strung. :)

Scriptor Senex said...

As always, an interesting post about your life though perhaps a bit too much information about the grooming duties. Ugh.

Mary said...

I hope April sticks around for a while. Its hard to find a good one.

Anonymous said...

What a great find April is! And, a really well-done haircut can do so much for one's over-all happiness!

I LOVE the picture of you and the other hair "fashionista"!