Friday, October 29, 2010

One year of running!

I realized this morning--yesterday was my one-year anniversary of running!

Yesterday's run was rough--very rough. I had to turn around and walk home, because this one area that keeps bothering me (my IT band) started bothering me again. I am going to a rehab place on Monday to get it checked out, and hopefully with some professional help it can be resolved completely.

I'm almost glad I didn't realize at the time that it was my one-year anniversary run. That might have frustrated me even more! But with a good night's sleep and a plan of action that involves someone who knows what they're doing, I'm feeling pretty optimistic this morning.

And I want to focus today not on this particular struggle (which I plan to get past!) but on how far I've come. It's pretty exciting that a year ago, alternating 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking was challenging. (That was what I did for the first week of Couch-to-5K.) A year later, I challenged myself with a 9-mile run last weekend, and completed it! Finishing that half marathon (13.1 miles) in five weeks will feel very, very good.

I love running. That's what keeps me motivated. (It's also why I get so frustrated and anxious when I have minor injuries.) Would we have fewer health-related problems in 2010 if more people found a type of exercise that they love? Maybe it's unrealistic, but I think that most of us can probably find that if we try enough different things. I'm just glad I discovered that I (the one who always said I wasn't athletic) can run, and can love it!

6 comments:

Lola said...

That's so great!
I've got about 2.5 months to my 1 yr re-running anniversary (and the first time it has actually stuck that long!)
You've come so far and I can't wait to cheer you on (albeit virtually) for your Half Mary!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your wonderful achievement!!

Sasha said...

Yay Beth! Can't believe a year has already gone by.

And I can't believe we only have 5 weeks left to train! I am going to get my 9 miler in tomorrow, come hell or high water!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I've been learning about this running thing for 8 months now- and I started because of you! You doing C25K inspired me enough to check it out and decided that I could run a 60 second interval with a little break in between. And look where I am now! Thank you!!

I'm betting there are others who have been inspired by you, too!

LEstes65 said...

Wow. It feels like I just read how you were doing that couch to running thing! Way to go, girl!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the huge milestone!!! That's wonderful!