Sunday, July 4, 2010

This 'n' that

I wrote this blog post Friday night....

I'm kind of pooped from painting Chickie's wall. Which brings me to my first point of a "this 'n' that" blog post....
  1. I don't like painting rooms. I'm not that great at it. (Please don't look at the edges!) The set-up is boring and time-consuming. The clean-up is boring and time-consuming. The middle part (actually painting) isn't so bad, but as I said...it's not my forte. If painting only involved the center of walls--no edges--it would be kind of fun, or at least more bearable.
  2. I do like decorative painting. I'll have fun painting the dinosaurs on Chickie's wall. Some of you had great suggestions for non-permanent ways to get dinos on her wall, but I don't mind them being permanent. I like the look of it, and it's really not permanent at all. It's easy to paint over something like that because it's in the center of the wall. (See #1.)
  3. Did you know you're not supposed to use paper towels in the microwave unless they're labeled as microwave-safe? I've safely used paper towels for years, but today one caught on fire in my microwave. Yikes. Thankfully I safely got the fire out, but it was weird.
  4. I got one of these for $40 at Home Depot today:

    I had already been planning on buying one, but the paper towel incident lit a fire under me, so to speak (har har.)
  5. The reason I was at Home Depot was because I needed a second quart of paint to complete Chickie's wall. I loved the Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint, but that stuff is expensive, and the estimate for how many square feet can be covered with one can wasn't even close to being accurate for me. So...great paint, but assume you'll need more than the can says if you have textured walls.
To sum up my day...
Painting walls is not very fun.
Microwave fires are less fun than painting. But more exciting.

Oh, and...happy Independence Day!

4 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

What an adventure! When we first bought our house, my mom's house warming gift was a fire extuingisher and a couple of smoke alarms. :)

I've never had the paper towel issue... but I did once catch a camisole on fire in the microwave.

Mellodee said...

Amazing! I have never heard of that business about microwaves and paper towels!

I' not very good at painting either! That's just one of the reasons I have the Big Guy!! He's MUCH better at all that sort of thing!

Elizabeth Thomas said...

Just now checking this out--yours is so much prettier than mine! I need to work on my design...

Anonymous said...

I guess I wish you less fun and excitement. I never knew paper towels needed to come in a microwave-safe variety. Thanks for letting us know.