Sunday, July 11, 2010

Suggestions for drivers, from a runner

Because I generally run streets (not trails, treadmills, or tracks), I see a lot of cars during my runs. I know a majority of you aren't runners, but almost all of you are probably drivers! Here are my suggestions for you when you are driving and you see a runner.
  • When you come up to a runner who is on the street (as opposed to the sidewalk), pull your car away from the runner as you pass him or her, if you can do so safely.You may know you're giving the runner plenty of room, but the runner doesn't know whether or not you're paying attention...and fears you might accidentally swerve at the last minute. By changing lanes, or even just moving over within your lane, the runner knows you probably see him/her.
  • Most of us run on the left side of the street, if we're actually on the street. (Why run on the street if a sidewalk is available? Asphalt isn't as firm as concrete, and it's easier on the joints!) So if you're coming toward a runner, (s)he will be able to see into your car if the light is right. As you pass, smile! Smiles from strangers--whether they're in cars, on foot, or on bikes--give me extra energy to keep going! The runner you pass might be five minutes into the run, with plenty of energy--or an hour and a half into a long, challenging run. Your smile might act as a calorie-free "Power Bar" for that tired runner!
  • If you're backing out of a driveway, make sure you check both directions before you pull onto the sidewalk and/or street. Many drivers only check behind their right shoulders until the last second. A runner on the left side of the street will appreciate it if you see them and let them pass. (A kid playing outside will appreciate that too--at least his/her parents will!) My (incredibly unscientific) experience has been that about half of drivers don't carefully check both directions before progressing down the driveway.
Thanks for sharing the streets with runners!

7 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

Actually I wanted to ask you about running - considering signing up for a triathalon. Any tips on starting to run..?

Call Me Cate said...

Since my husband is a runner, I'm a lot more aware than most people. Still, I think the driveway thing is the one I'm most guilty of - and the one that has caused Joe the most near-misses.

John Sanchez said...

Amen to all of three! Especially the first point. :-(

Amanda said...

Great post, and to add...when making a right hand turn on a red light, if you cannot see into the cross walk remain stopped so you won't hit the pedestrain. Cause you know red means...stop...and the green walking guy means you would go to jail if you hit me lol :)

Some Guy said...

A smile is fine, but I probably won't notice that while I'm running. I prefer it if drivers wave. I usually wave at any car that passes me (small dirt road, so there aren't a lot of cars) just in case I missed their smile or wave (windshield glare can be bad) and I don't want the driver to think I'm being rude.

nopinkhere said...

I'm glad to know why runners run in the street because it drives me nuts to see them when there are perfectly good sidewalks right there. I wish there was a better solution because I believe that roads are for bikes and cars and sidewalks are for people. That said, I do try to be careful, even when the runner is running down the middle of the lane I'm supposed to be driving in.

Bri said...

My driveway is on a hill and driving a minivan makes it extremely difficult to see the sidewalk behind me. I am always so nervous about someone walking or running behind me while I am backing out and always check and double check and triple check.