Friday, July 9, 2010

Running partner

Wednesday we had weather that wasn't quite as hot as usual, and the kids and I went to the park. I pushed Zoodle in the stroller, and Chickie ran with me. It's almost half a mile to the park, and she jogged the whole way. (In fact, she jogged barefoot, just like me!)

She's impressed me with her running endurance a couple of other times too, like when she did the kids' Fun Run at my first 5K. That little race was probably about 1/3 mile.

Photobucket

Another time, we did a charity walk/run, and Chickie jogged along with me for quite awhile--probably 15 minutes or so. (I would have felt like I was going to die if I'd jogged for 15 minutes straight when I first started running!)

Kids her age tend to be so naturally active--I'd better nurture that now so that maybe she won't outgrow it! So I've asked Chickie if she wants to sometimes get up early with me and run with me. I'm not going to take her along for a three-plus-mile run, but I know she'd enjoy coming along for a portion of some of my runs--maybe a mile or so. It'll mess up my pace, but you know what? That's okay! In fact, since I'm starting to do a little barefoot running, going slowly will be a great way for me to focus on learning proper running form.

It's exciting for me, because I have a lot more fun taking Chickie along when I'm doing something I enjoy, than agreeing to do something "preschoolish" with her. (Please tell me I'm not the only parent who finds lots of excuses not to play Candy Land!)

Did your parents let you join them in some of their hobbies? If you have kids, how do you involve them in the activities you enjoy doing?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Chickie is such a cutie. That is so great that she is taking an interest in what you love.

Call Me Cate said...

So many things are easier if those good habits are nurtured in childhood. Good for you encouraging her. And I love that she wants to do this with her mommy. She's quite the girl, that Chickie.

Melody said...

I love this picture! Something to treasure always. It is so fun to do something together that you both enjoy. All those games of Candyland? Just the groundwork for many, many fun times ahead.

Unknown said...

I think that it's awesome that she is wanting to spend time with you doing what you like to do. My parents never really let me partake in their hobbies. In fact I remember begging and pleading to "learn how to work on cars" or crafty things and being told no. Hopefully what you're doing will continue a long way (and maybe teenage years will be easier too!)

Eternal Lizdom said...

I used to go with my parents to the square dances they enjoyed. It felt like a big family function- lots of kids running around, everyone watching after everyone else. My parents were dating / engaged at the time and it was a great way to include me in their dating life!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

this is fun!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/07/pinks-in-6-words-i-wish-u-award-winning.html

6 awards,
please feel free to take any of them
Smiles!

Monica said...

Will likes to go with me on my runs on his bike. He rides ahead and has to stop at every street until I catch up. I never thought about having him run with me. I'll have to ask him. Good idea!