Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Yay meat! (Irish Beef Pot Pie recipe)

I found a yummy-sounding recipe for Irish Beef Pie on SnoWhite's blog Finding Joy in My Kitchen. The Engineer is a meat and potatoes-type of guy, and I figured he'd like it. It was a hit!

I altered the recipe, so here's my version of this delicious comfort food.

Irish Beef Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 double pie crust, uncooked (I use Pillsbury)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 head green cabbage, finely sliced or shredded
1 small to medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced; or 2 tsp jarred minced garlic
3 medium potatoes, chopped into small chunks
1 lb beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
1 cup beef broth
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning

Instructions:

Heat olive oil over medium heat in LARGE skillet, Dutch oven, or pot. Line pie plate with pie crust.

When oil is hot, add cabbage, onion, garlic, and potatoes. Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.

This is probably a good time to preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Add beef, broth, and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is mostly cooked.

Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and Montreal Steak seasoning. Stir well until tomato paste is dissolved. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes are cooked (but not too soft.)

Carefully place the mixture in the lined pie plate. Cover the pie with the other half of the pie crust. Trim edges, crimp, and use a knife or scissors to vent the top in whatever creative design you prefer.

Cook for 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Let the pie sit for 10-20 minutes before cutting.

I celebrated this meaty dish (and my carnivorous husband) in the pie's venting.
Photobucket

Enjoy!

This is tasty. But really...chunks of meat & taters aren't very pretty!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I think it would be more fun to label it "APPLE" or "CHOCOLATE". I'm not a big cabbage fan but it sounds yummy. And I bet it's another recipe I could've used to hide that evil wine inside.

Toni said...

This looks really good. (I like the "MEAT" carved into the top.) :)
J would NEVER eat this! Cabbage?! (Only if it's sour.)

Although . . . "Meat Pie" makes me think of Sweeny Todd and things get icky from there. :)

Mike said...

MEATTTT

Sandra said...

Beth -- It's so interesting that meat pies seem to be popping up everywhere these days! When we were at DD's about a month ago, she made us a wonderful Shepherd's Pie, and yesterday I made a great chicken pot pie which I had happened to see being made on The Food Network. I'm going to post that recipe on my blog.

This one sounds really good, but I wonder about using pearl onions and peas and carrots in it like I did in the chicken one. I really like those flavors and it would also add a little color. I may have to try it. :)