Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Trophy wife

When I started dating The Engineer, I was 21. I was surprised to find out he was 29. An older man! We got married a year later, and we both jokingly said I was his "trophy wife." I'd say, "When you're 40 and I'm 32, you're going to look so cool."

Well, somehow that day came a lot quicker than I realized it would. Today The Engineer is turning 40 years old. Of course, now the eight year age difference seems much smaller than it did then. I don't feel like a trophy wife--instead, I feel like an equal partner. The mother of his children. The love of his life. Glad to be married to the love of my life.

Happy Birthday, my Engineer. When you're 80 and I'm 72, you're going to look so cool.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

How sweet! Yes, you're going to make him look so cool lol. Happy Birthday Engineer!

Anna said...

Happy Birthday Engineer...I'm married to an old man too! a whole 6 years older! ;) when I was 19 it was almost illegal, now we don't even notice!

*Monica said...

happy birthday!!

Heidi said...

When my husband and I got married I was 27 and he was 37. Our "joke" is that he answered my ad at the church for a sugar daddy and I'm his mid-life crisis----instead of trading in the first wife for the young one he cut to the chase and just married the young one the first time around :)

Happy Birthday, Engineer!!

Tom said...

Happy Birthday Engineer.

From what I have read, you have a quality product there.

Congratulations.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Yet another similarity between us- same age gap in our husbands! And our husbands have close together birthdays (mine turns 43 on Jan 2).

Happy Birthday to dat wonderful man of yours!

Leslie said...

I'm married to an "old" man too! He's 10 years older! When we met, I was 21 and he was 31. I still pick on him because he's "old".... but now that we have been together for 10 years, 31 isn't looking so old! lol

Happy Birthday to the Engineer! Hope you have many more with your "Trophy Wife"!

Unknown said...

I smiled until the last line. Then I cried. Happy birthday, Engineer!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Engineer! I hope it is another wonderful year!

Rachel Cotterill said...

My husband has 16 years on me, but I forget except when I'm in conversations like this! Happy birthday to the Engineer :)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday, Engineer! She may not be a "trophy wife" but she definitely is a "prize"! I wish both of you many more happy, healthy years together.