Sunday, August 23, 2009

Relaxation without laziness

Yesterday for Six Word Saturday, I wrote, "This weekend's goal: Relaxation without laziness." Some of you questioned it--so here's my explanation.

Often on a weekend when I don't have much planned, I'm lazy. I avoid doing dishes until they pile up; I spend hours on the computer while also making sure my kids don't maim each other; and I put off peeing just because I don't want to stand up and walk to the bathroom. And as nice as a lazy weekend sounds, it's really kind of icky. I end up tired and cranky and selfish.

Yesterday was a full day. We took the kids swimming. We went to a bookstore. I did some very basic cooking and kitchen clean-up. I had time to read, and to watch some episodes of Babylon 5 with The Engineer. A friend of mine and I did a poetry reading at an open mic night. I even found the time to run a few errands without the kids. It was a fantastic day.

Despite being so busy, it was relaxing, because I was doing so many "feel good" things. My body had some relaxation time, but it was my soul that really was able to relax, enjoying time with people I love.

Relaxation, without laziness. I could get used to this.

5 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I'm glad you had a good day. Sometimes I find that I feel more relaxed even when I'm productive if I just change my approach. Sounds like that's kinda what you did.

bARE-eYED sUN said...

yes! you've made absolute sense of what relaxation should be: doin' things that nourish our spirit.

thank you

:-)

..
.ero

Toni said...

Wow, that sounds like an amazing day! You totally made me want to watch Babylon 5 though. It's been SO long since I've seen that . . . I think it's time for "Syfy" (Do not get me started on how ridiculous this name change thing is) to play this show.

Have a great day today!

JenPB said...

I COMPLETELY relate! It's taken me a while to figure out that "relaxing" doesn't NECESSARILY equate with "no chores." Yesterday I had perhaps one of the most spirit-lifting, relaxing days I've had in a long time:
- breakfast with the family
- put gutted trailer's belongings back IN the trailer (wiring project now being complete) and thereby empty the cluttered garage
- family gathering in the front yard for leaf pickup
- weeding while talking on the phone with my mom (accomplishing a mind-numbing task while getting some visiting in)
- teaching a friend's daughter how to make Peach Cobbler in Dutch oven alongside my own girls
- practicing ukulele while the girls ran amok (there's nothing like kid company) and husband took an afternoon siesta
- played Scrabble with the girls while chatting with our visitor's mom
- walking a mile in the unseasonal rainfall to the library
- read aloud for an hour to my daughter until joined by formerly-slumbering husband
- walked to dinner
- walked the mile home in the dark as a family, skies clearing
- read five chapters to the girls at bedtime
- worked at my computer (deadline looming) while husband played on his two feet away
- relatively early to bed

Today: completely refreshed after a full day of ... um... relaxation?

2cats said...

Your day yesterday would have exhausted me. I try to stay relaxed at all times, but then I don't have little ones at home.
After I get a nasty job finished, I realized then how relaxed I feel.