Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye, hello!

A few months ago I happily said hello to a new computer.

A few weeks later, I foolishly left the cord stretched across the room. Zoodle caught it with his foot, and my new laptop crashed to the tile floor. The lid and liquid crystal were broken. As was my heart.

Okay, that's a little melodramatic. But I was pretty upset. Upset enough that I didn't even blog about it. I started using my old computer again, which has seen better days but works well as a backup computer.

I spent $48 to ship the laptop back to the company who'd made it (Puget Systems). (Shipping is already expensive, and when you put a ton of insurance on it, it's even worse.) The repair itself was about $150, and it took almost a month to get it back.

My computer finally arrived, and I was happy. (By the way, I love Windows 7. I had Vista for two laptops, and I was so sick of it. But Windows 7 rocks.) I took the laptop with me to see my parents, and used it a lot at their house.

Then we left for the airport, my dad kindly acting as chauffeur. It's a three-hour drive from Yuma, Arizona to Phoenix. When we'd been on the road awhile, my dad's phone rang. From the speaker, I heard my mom's voice:

"Ask Beth how she'd like us to get her computer back to her."

Aaaaaaaargh! I'd packed the cord...but not the computer. The only positive was that my carry on luggage was lighter (which you'd think I'd have noticed on the way to the car.) But the lighter weight wasn't enough to make up for the loss of my computer for another week and a half, plus the $48 it cost...once again...to ship it.

My fantastic computer (which I should have signed up for frequent flier miles for all the traveling it's done), will be arriving again today. I'll happily say hello to it...and I hope there won't be any more goodbyes any time soon!

***
By the way, happy birthday to my mom! You know I turned 33 yesterday, and amazingly enough, my mom is turning 29 today! Wow!

5 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

Wow, congrats to your magic mom with that whole 29 years thing. Maybe it's part of the "new math" I keep hearing about.

I'm glad you and your computer will be reunited soon. Again. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Happy birthday to your mom!

And you need to be more responsible with your toys, young lady!

Melody said...

Your mom is an amazing lady---happy birthday to her!

I always notice that when I have been "irresponsible with my toys" I show much more grace to those around me when they have similar issues. :)

Have fun with your computer when you get it! Enjoy! Who knows how long you will get to use it this time?:)

SurvivorBlessing said...

It's kind of a funny story! I liked it. And I am sure you are happy your 'baby' is back! At least I hope it got there already?!

Anyway, happy birthday to your mom, and she looks like 29! Hope she feels like it, too. She is so wonderful....

beckiwithani said...

You know, in a base-24 numbering system, Mom actually DID turn 29 last year. But then you and I are only 19...

I have no idea if that made sense to anyone but me, but it's true! We are also 100,001 in binary (base-2). And Mom is 111,010.

Sorry for the ramble. I am a very tired geek.