Thursday, February 4, 2010

Loving this educational toy

For Chickie's birthday, her friend Coqui gave her this toy:


It's the Leap Frog Scribble and Write, and it is so cool. It has little lights that light up, in order, showing kids how to write letters and numbers, even how to draw shapes. Then the child takes the little stylus/pen thingy and traces the letter, number, or shape. Their tracing shows up on the screen--a lot like those little magnetic drawing gadgets kids play with. When they push a button saying they're done, the lights go away, and the child only sees what they've written. With a swipe of the blue bar at the bottom, the drawing is gone and the child can move on to learning another character or shape.

Within a week or two of getting this gift, Chickie was learning to write her brother's name and her own. She has an independent spirit and likes to learn things on her own. (I'm pretty darn sure I know where she got that from!) So she'd been hesitant for me to teach her how to write letters. But I think this toy may have piqued her desire to learn. Now she can use it to practice, and when she's using real paper to write on, sometimes she even lets me help her do the letters.

Now, it's not a magic toy that keeps her attention for weeks on end; right now it's not her favorite. But I think it's one she...and then Zoodle...will keep coming back to. Chickie has been able to recognize letters, numbers and shapes for a long time, but this toy is helping bridge the gap between recognition and creation. Awesome!

(By the way, if you're thinking of using Amazon to purchase this, be sure to check out the different sellers, here. As of right now, Amazon itself doesn't sell the toy, and there's a lot of variation in prices and shipping cost among the different sellers.)

Disclaimer: This review is 100% non-compensated. I just think it's a rockin' toy.

9 comments:

Autumn said...

I love Leap Frog!! We have several of their "smart toys" in our house! My only complaint to them is that they seriously need to come out with headphones for their toys. I love the fact that my kids are learning more but as they get older some of the games (even the math centered ones) are a little repetitive and loud...

Unknown said...

Cowboy got one of these for Christmas from his Aunt as well! This is a toy/learning tool that ROCKS!!! He loves it and so do I!!

Call Me Cate said...

Back when I was a kid, we had to chisel letters into stone. I'd say this is a massive improvement. I'm glad she's enjoying it!

Juniper Saltus said...

That is so nifty! My daughter is having the hardest time learning how to write her "s" correctly. She always writes them backwards. I think I might have to pick one of these up for her!

And thanks for the Amazon tip!!

stacief said...

Jack just got this for his birthday and he really likes it as well (so does my 2.5 year old...may need to get another one to stop the fighting!)

SurvivorBlessing said...

Oh Beth, I am so glad she really likes it! I mean after all, our toy WAS the best gift she got, right???

Well, Coqui is loving his as well - the reason why she has one, as he picked it for her!!!
And yes, it is so easy to pick things up and he definitely has picked up a few letters already!

Love ye...

Mellodee said...

Its amazing the things they are coming up with for little kids! Cool!

Heidi said...

I'm going out and getting one today! I'd never seen or heard of it, but that looks amazing!!! Since my son is a few months older than your daughter I think he'll love it!

Unknown said...

I like to get this for a gift for one of the kids in the family, she is maybe going on 4, not sure, they have 6 kids so it is hard to remember. What age range do you thinks this would work for?