Monday, January 19, 2009

Oldies But Goodies: Shopping

I'm out of town visiting family and friends from 1/19 through 1/28.  Shamelessly stealing an idea from the wonderful Sandra, you'll be treated to some of my favorite past posts during this time.  These are all from my first four months of blogging, before many of you became readers.  Enjoy!

*****

This post, titled "The Engineer's Shopping List," was first published on May 13, 2008.

*****

I have finally, at the age of 30, gotten into the habit of keeping a grocery shopping list on the fridge, and I usually remember to write down the things we're running out of. I'm trying to teach The Engineer to utilize this excellent tool.

The other day we needed salsa. Perfect opportunity for The Engineer to use the list for the first time.

"The Engineer," I began, "would you please add salsa to the grocery list?"

"Where is it?"

"It's the Curious George pad on the fridge." (Yes, I have a 2-year-old and I stole the magnetic Curious George pad I bought her.)

He graciously complied. It wasn't until the next day that I actually saw his list.


It gave me a smile and an appreciation for a husband with a sense of humor. (Though I guess not enough of an appreciation to actually fulfill his wishes, since, as you see, salsa is the only item I marked off on my shopping trip.)

For now, our upstairs game room will have to suffer without a 42" television, receiver, and surround speakers. Yes, we are indeed deprived of life's necessities.

(By the way, what exactly is a receiver?)

*****

14. Light bulbs
15. Liquid soap
16. Baby swing
17. WALL-E party stuff
18. Cane

6 comments:

beckiwithani said...

I have a good idea about why you're getting rid of most of that stuff (switched to CFLs, have you?), except ...

Liquid soap? Stripping down your possessions is great and all, but not if your toddlers' hands have to stay dirty... ;)

C. Beth said...

Becki--We're going natural. Well, not ALL-natural as in "as much dirt as possible" but MOSTLY natural as in Method brand soap. :)

Dina said...

I had to laugh when I saw your husband's list. My husband is an electrical engineer turned AV (audiovisual engineer), so it was driving him nuts that we didn't have a surround system at home. We left everything behind at our old house. He works on commercial projects for his job, but recently started his own side business for residential projects. Since he's now a certified dealer, we were able to get a good deal on the surround sound speakers. We're using an old receiver though. A new one's not in the budget right now. I still don't totally understand what all a receiver does, I just know they seem really expensive for what they seem to do. That last comment would totally drive my husband nuts.

By the way, I switched to Method soap about a year ago and love it. I go back and forth between Seventh Generation and Method laundry and cleaning products - depending on what prices I can find or which store I'm at.

Crazy Mo said...

I'm impressed that The Engineer thinks you can get all of this at the grocery store. Either he's clueless about food shopping or your grocery store stocks amazing stuff!

Scriptor Senex said...

I couldn't live without my fridge door shopping list. And nowadays I nearly always remember to take it with me. The next stage will be remembering to take it out of my pocket BEFORE I've left the shop.

Sandra said...

Love this, Beth. Have a great time at your parents! :)