Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Countdown, part 4: Cookies & Cake

Well, I realized as I was walking this morning that we have reached T-minus one month until the big two-year anniversary of The Engineer's brain surgery. I was going to skip my Countdown post since I did one a couple of weeks ago. Then I saw today's Cake Wrecks post about a disturbing cookie cutter and decided I had to get in here and write, not about gratitude or anything else serious, but about cookies. Weird, yummy, kinda creepy cookies.

You see, once The Engineer was released from the hospital, I threw a big Brain & Birthday Bash. We celebrated The Engineer's brain health and Chickie's first birthday. (Her actual birthday had been pretty low-key since it had been 12 days after Daddy's surgery.) The Engineer kept a good sense of humor about his health issues, so I decided brain-shaped cookies were in order. Yes, you can buy brain-shaped cookie cutters online. Heck, you can buy anything online.

They turned out very cute and even tasted good. I'm sure some guests shied away from them because of the pure weirdness factor, but I love sugar, and biting into sweet gray matter doesn't take away my appetite.

Photobucket

Chickie had an adorable cake, made by our friend Leslie. She even made matching cookies, some attached to the cake and some on the side, which our more squeamish guests undoubtedly appreciated. This is one of my all-time favorite Chickie pictures.

Photobucket

That day was wonderful, a day to celebrate all that God has given us. Looking at the pictures makes me smile. I think God probably liked my celebratory brain cookies a lot.

11 comments:

Becky said...

I think if you flip that cookie cutter over, it could also double as a stomach-shaped cookie cutter. In case you're ever celebrating someone's gastric bypass surgery, or whatever. Waste not, want not, you know. :-)
(Oh, and I would TOTALLY have eaten the brain-shaped cookies. I think the only disgusting sweet treat I've ever turned my nose up at is kitty litter cake.)

Scriptor Senex said...

I don't think I'll go down the operations road - could get even more yucky! And while I like the birthday cake photo I don't think it can match up to Chickie's photo in the side column. That's brilliant. It reminds me I must hunt out some photos of my girls when they were young and post them. (They'll probably hate me for it!)

Joanne Sher said...

So creative - and I DEFINITELY would have eaten the brain cookies. My hubby will often say the surgery was proof he had a brain--or at least that he did when they did the surgery. ;)

Praying as you remember the difficult times. You know I know what you're goin' through.

DiPaola Momma said...

If we have life with no humor we have no life to celebrate. KEEP counting down. It's heartening to hear that he is well and that life grows and goes on. I'll eat any shaped cookie babe, just close your eyes and yummo!

Um my word verification "word" is sort of sleazy.. hydappol..whats up w/that eh?

Leslie said...

Thanks for the cake props. KC told me I made your blog today. I had been looking for a pic of that cake for my cake album on facebook. I did like that one a lot.

Sandra said...

I wish I had seen the picture of Chickie's cake before I did the cakes a few days ago. Maybe I would have been inspired! Discounting totally the need for talent! :)

I think the brain cookies seem very appropriate and I love that they contain "gray matter."

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth- I didn't realize that you had bought the cookie cutter and made the cookies! I think they look great! I thought you had bought the cookies from some weird novelty cookie store, lol! I am impressed! You could sell those to other people who want brain cookies??? :)

Unknown said...

I have to say that the Cake Wrecks cookie cutter was, well, a bit disturbing to me. Your brain cookies, on the other hand--genius! I totally agree that God probably would love them as well. I remember something about platypus or porcupines or something being proof that God has a sense of humor!

C. Beth said...

Becky--Ha ha, great stomach idea!!

Scriptor Senex--Thanks! I think the hard hat pic is great too. :)

Joanne--Thank you. :) I have wanted to catch up on the reading you sent and just haven't yet. Crazy how much our husbands have in common, and I pray healing for yours.

DiPaola--I agree, just close your eyes and enjoy the sugar rush!

Leslie--Oh, good! Let me know if you need higher quality version of it. Such a cute cake! :)

Sandra--Ha ha, I think your mini cakes were adorable!

Jekikabanana--Aw, thanks! It was really fun to make them! Not sure how big the brain cookie niche is though. :-D

ElleBee--I agree about the cookie cutter on CW, pretty weeeeird.

Kara said...

Wow, I remember seeing those pix on BBC a looong time ago :-) Those brain cookies are actually kind of cute!

Katie said...

That is a beautiful cake! And the brain cookies are such an awesome uplifting gesture! Go mom!