A few weeks ago, Jonah Lisa wrote an excellent (and very funny) post about this topic here. I wrote this comment on her post:
Think anyone on my blog would appreciate pictures of both pairs of pants that Chickie has peed in today, as well as the blow-out poopie diaper Zoodle had, and the blow-out poopie Pull-Up Chickie had? And all this before 12:30. It's been one of those Real Life days here.
And yet when people read my blog tomorrow--which is going to be the muffin recipe I made for lunch--they'll think, "Wow, she really has it all together, with all that home cookin'." They can't see the dirty dishes in the background and can't hear my frustrated exclamations when I have to change a kid's clothes again.
So I've been thinking. The subtitle of this blog, "Musings of a happy mommy," really doesn't give a comprehensive picture of who I am. Maybe I should make it more accurate.
- I have very small children, and sometimes their tiny little fingers really know how to push my buttons. I can be a very frustrated mommy.
- When, planning a blog post, I take pictures of things I cooked, I have to be very careful of what's in the background, because more often than not I'm a cluttered mommy.
- I love when 8:00 rolls around and both kids are asleep, but I never know when one or both of them might be up in the middle of the night. This can result in a sleepy mommy.
- There may be a lot of parenting books out there, but we all know there's not a one-size-fits-all how-to manual. On days like yesterday, this leads me to really question my parenting decisions, and I am an insecure mommy.
- I like to post recipes I've had success with. What you don't see are my overcooked, undercooked, or poorly-spiced food experiments. Sometimes I'm a kitchen nightmare-creating mommy.
- Often my introverted side takes over, and I turn into a hermitish mommy.
Wow. With all that, should "happy" even still be there? If all those negative adjectives really describe me, how in the world can I be happy?
Because for every negative, I could add a positive.
I guess the creativity outweighs the clutter, and being healthy must affect me more than being hermitish, because even with plenty of imperfections, I'm still, generally, a happy mommy.
But do me a favor.... When you open my blog tomorrow and look at its subtitle, just remember all the extra adjectives that should be there.