Sunday, March 27, 2011

Race Report: 10K

Today was an exciting day. It was my first time running a race for the second time.

I think I confused myself with that sentence. What I mean is, last year I ran a 10K, and this year, I did the very same race. It's a good way to gauge my improvement as a runner since it was the same route, similar time of year, etc.

Last year it was the first time I'd ever run 6.2 miles. I was so thrilled to get a time of 1:07:45 (10:55/mile.) A brief blog post about that run is here.

In the 11 1/2 months since that race, I've trained a lot. I had this hope that I could do a 10K in under an hour, but I hadn't dared to make it an official goal. I really just didn't know if I was ready to go that fast.

But I pushed myself today, and when the finish line was fairly close, I saw 59 minutes on my watch. So I pushed harder, and my final time was...

59:32!

I am so, so happy that I did it in under an hour!

After my last half marathon, I told myself I needed to stop looking at rankings. I've always been a slow runner. I'd feel great about my time in a race, and then realize I was ranked way below the median in my gender/age group. But today I felt like I might be happy with my rank, so I looked it up.

Photobucket
(Click to enlarge image. Or just read the next paragraph.)

In my age group (women, 30-34) I was 281/867. That's in the top 33%! Woo hoo!!!
I was in the top 30% of all women and the top 46% overall.

I honestly thought that my body was just wired to be slow. Well, there are certainly genetic components to speed, and I have no goal to run a 10K in 30 minutes. It ain't gonna happen. But I've realized that consistent training can take you further than you thought you could go. Being in the top third doesn't change my worth as a person or a runner; but it is a really sweet reward for the early mornings spent running.

The Engineer ran this year too, and he did awesome, because he rocks. He rarely even does 10K distances, but my former-high-school-cross-country-champ of a husband is one of those guys who is genetically wired to go fast. Plus, he's a triathlete, so while he doesn't run as often as I do, he keeps himself very fit. I'm so proud of him. His time was 47:55 (114/637 in his age group)!

Because we were both running, we didn't get pictures of each other. So instead of seeing a photo of me, imagine a 5'9" woman, slender yet voluptuous, with gorgeously-rippling leg muscles, running like a gazelle.

And then look behind her, at the skinny, 5'2" chick, happily doing her thing. That one's me.

Running is really, really fun.

You should try it.

10 comments:

Tia said...

Great job!

Amanda said...

Awesome time! and a good time at a race is always better than any time or placement. My last PR for a 10k was 70 minutes. I have a goal to get under an hour. The way my body has been progressing it just might happen :)

Mellodee said...

Good going, kiddo!! I've never been the slightest bit attracted to running (or anything else "good for me") but I have heard from so many people what joy it brings them. I'm glad you are one of them (and I am not!)

Why said...

Under 60 minutes is great!! Way to go.. and nice report.

Gotta Run,

Mike
www.facebok.com/WhyMarathon
www.WhyMarathon.com

Staci said...

Well Done on your sub-60!!

Toni said...

Way to go, Beth!!

I love that last part about the 5'9" gazelle and how you're the one behind her. :)

joanne lee said...

Great job! Beating your personal best is a great feeling!

Sasha said...

Beth, that is awesome! Congrats!

Sandra said...

Congratulations, Beth -- that is truly an achievement to be proud of. And I love your closing, very cute. :)

Jan Brown said...

Well done! Loved this post - especially at the end where you encourage others to try running. I'm always bugging others to give it a try. It's never too late. I didn't get going until I was 40 (9 years ago) and it's changed my life.

BTW, I just ran my PB 10km last weekend too, and it was the last 10km of a 30km race. How great is that?! I was thrilled to say the least.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog in the months ahead. I'm intrigued by barefoot running and hoping to try it myself of winter ever ends on the east coast of Canada. We'er having a nasty nor'easter here today.