I made chili. LOTS and LOTS of chili--two large pots of turkey chili, plus a small pot of vegan chili (no meat, extra beans.) Here it all is, simmering on the stove--with a small, improvised double boiler in the back, melting chocolate for cake frosting. My stove was happy being so well-utilized!
I love this chili recipe, which I got from SnoWhite's blog Finding Joy in my Kitchen. She got it from another blogger, Lucy, who got it from somewhere else.... You know how it goes! I altered it to fit our tastes, and the recipe is at the end of this post. It's chock full of veggies, and uses lean ground turkey instead of beef. It's healthy and absolutely delicious. Here is a photo of the chopped veggies I used--three recipes' worth.
And the finished product...
I also made Oreo Cookie Balls, with Candy Cane Oreos. These are so easy! And somehow people find them impressive, even though the ingredients are anything but fancy.
The cake...mmm. This is my go-to easy chocolate cake recipe now: Too Much Chocolate Cake. I made one recipe as directed, as a bundt cake, sprinkled with powdered sugar.
I made the other as a two-layer round cake, with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
And as much as I like frosting, I preferred the simple bundt cake. It was rich and delicious. (The Engineer, however, who is not generally a frosting guy, really liked the frosted cake. This frosting is not terribly sweet.)
For recipes, just click on the names of the dishes above. The chili recipe is below. Enjoy!
Turkey Veggie Chili
(Or Vegan Veggie Chili)
Modified from SnoWhite
- 1 pound ground turkey (omit if making vegan chili)
- Minced garlic (2-3 cloves or 1-1 1/2 teaspoons from jar)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (preferably of different colors)
- Carrots, chopped (2 large or 10 baby-cut)
- 1 zucchini, chopped (unpeeled)
- 1 yellow squash, chopped (unpeeled)
- Diced tomatoes with juices (2 regular cans or 1 large can)
- 2 cans beans (any variety), drained and rinsed (4 cans if making vegan chili)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (use more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated cheese (such as cheddar or monterey jack), optional (omit if making vegan chili)
- Corn chips (such as Fritos), optional
1. Brown ground turkey with garlic in large stockpot. Drain if necessary. (Skip this step if making vegan chili, but put garlic in with the rest of the ingredients in the next step.)
2. Add remaining ingredients. Stir.
3. Cook on medium low until vegetables are soft. (Higher temperature is okay if you're in a hurry.) Simmer on low a few hours if you have the time. Stir occasionally.
4. Serve topped (if desired) with corn chips and/or cheese.