Friday, September 19, 2014

The Winding Path (or, First World Problems at Target)

I'd just finished shopping at Target and was walking to my car, but I couldn't find it. Plus, I was holding a chai latte I'd just bought at the in-store Starbucks, which made it trickier to push my cart, and turn my cart around, and push my cart in another direction.... You get the gist. Ugh.

I knew that, as problems go, this one was silly and minor. I'd just purchased various items, all of which I could have lived without. I was carrying an overpriced, overcalorized drink as I tried to find my dependable car so that I could drive to my uncrowded single-family home. This was a First World Problem if there ever was one. But, silly or not, I was getting annoyed.

As I walked toward yet another row of vehicles, a car pulled up next to me. "Do you know where this highway is?" she asked, naming a well-known road that happens to be close to my house. I spent the next minute or two telling her how to get there and how to avoid the toll road on her way.

As I continued toward my car (which was, astonishingly, right where I'd left it), I thought about the way my path had crossed with that of the lost driver. She was in search of a Bealle's department store, and couldn't use the map on her phone since it had died. Yes, yes--hers was another First World Problem. But I really was happy I could help, happy she'd asked me since I knew the area of town she needed to find, happy I'd taken the winding path to my car so I could encounter her.


I've heard before that it's not about the destination; it's about the journey. And when my path (literal or figurative) is less than straight, that longer journey can provide opportunities. I hope I keep my eyes open for those opportunities and take the time to appreciate them. My chai latte will still taste good if it's a little lukewarm.

2 comments:

قمم تميز said...

شركة تنظيف بالدمام نقوم بجميع أعمال النظافة باحترافية افضل شركة تنظيف بالخبر تقدم كافة خدمات التنظيف باستخدام احدث المعدات والمنظفات العالميه والايدى العامله شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام المدربه وصاحبة الخبره الطويله فى مجال التنظيف. شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر من الأشياء التي لا يمكن الاستغناء عنها لكل منزل أو شقة أو فيلا هو التنظيف شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام ولكل أسرة مستوى معين من النظافة ترغب دائما في الوصول إليه مهما كلفها من ثمن، ولكن بالطبع ... شركة تنظيف منازل بالجبيل

قمم تميز said...

شركة قمم التميز لمكافحة الحشرات بالدمام والخبر والإحساء هي أفضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام وواحدة من أهم الشركات التي تعمل في هذا المجال بالمنطقة افضل و اضخم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام وبالخبر تتميز بانه يتوفر عندها مجموعة مميزة و متنوعة من اقوى المبيدات الحشرية شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر نحن نضع صحتك وصحة أفراد أسرتك في المرتبة الأولى لذا فإننا في شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام نحرص على استخلاص المواد الآمنة على صحة الإنسان في شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام لاسباب كثيره ومنها التخلص نهائيا من الحشرات الطائره والزاحفه ومكافحة الصراصير والنمل الابيض والفئران وبق الفراش شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر شركة مكافحة حشرات مجربه , افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام رخيصة , شركات رش مبيدات بالدمام عمالة فلبينية , شركة الفرسان مكافحة حشرات شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام تستخدم مبيدات خاصة لمكافحة الحشرات الزاحفة كالنمل والصراصير وهذه التركيبات خاصة بالشركة، وهي تخضع للتجارب شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام عميلنا العزيز هل ترغب في شركات متخصصة برش المبيدات وبدرجة امان عالية وباسعار مميزة شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر