Friday, September 5, 2014

Matter

For the first time, scientists have mapped the supercluster of galaxies in which our galaxy exists. They call it Laniakea--"Immeasurable Heaven" in Hawaiian. This video fills me with awe.



We are surrounded by billions of other stars in the Milky Way, and when our galaxy is mapped with the 100,000 other galaxies of Laniakea, it fades into seeming insignificance. Our little planet is on the outer arm of our galaxy, which is on the outskirts of our supercluster. We are on the edge--the wallflowers of our galactic dance.

Our world is not much more than a speck when we broaden our view. And if the world is a speck of matter, what does that say for us? In the midst of this universe full of incomprehensible amounts of matter, do we matter at all?

Yes.

The mind of God, which somehow was big enough to create this inconceivably large universe, is also somehow detailed enough to know the location of every quark and electron and atom, and of every man and woman and child.

The heart of God, which yearned to oversee an ever-changing universe full of stars and galaxies and superclusters, is also intimate enough to love me, extravagantly, to walk with me, constantly.

In His eyes, I matter.

And I want my children to know that as their buckets of learning become full at times to bursting with the wonder of the world and beyond, their individuality makes them each an indescribably special part of this world, this universe.

My daughter's smile, with its teeth gapping and overlapping, contributes to her unique beauty. Her creative mind, used to draw comic books for her brother, is priceless.


My son's eyes, hazel and expressive, are unlike any other eyes on this earth, and, I daresday, in the universe. His smiles spread to those around him, a beautiful contagion.


In the middle of the immeasurable matter of the universe, they matter.

You matter.

The universe wouldn't be the same without you.

2 comments:

Megan said...

As I've been teaching about the sun, planets, and solar system, I've wanted to explain this part so badly! I'm left to just say "when you see how big our universe is and how incredibly it's all made, you just stand in awe." I'm really hoping they're telling their parents about what we're learning and their parents are explaining it. I'm hoping.

Mohamed Abdellatif said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بابها
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالقطيف
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض