Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Play time for Mommy

I love acting. My college degree is in theatre. Maybe someday I'll write a post about that--yes, it's pretty much a useless degree to me in terms of my career, but boy did I learn a lot about myself and my passions when I was in college.

I got burned out on theatre at the end of college, then started a job that required a lot of travel--not conducive to rehearsal schedules. But a few years after graduating I changed careers and got involved in a local community theatre. I re-discovered my passion, loved it even more than I had in college. No, it's not a well-known theatre, not professional (at least not in the paycheck sense), but it fits me. I can pursue it as a hobby; and I even like the "raw" quality of an all-volunteer troupe. And in this particular theatre, there's some quite inspiring talent.

I'm not sure there's a non-cheesy way to put this, so here it is, cheese and all--there is a part of me that is alive when I'm in the middle of rehearsing for, and performing in, a play; a part of me that is dormant at other times. My artistic side suddenly crackles to life. It's almost magical.

When I got pregnant with Chickie, I began a hiatus from theatre that has lasted a little over three years. Recently I've felt myself getting "the bug" again, wanting to be on stage. I figured I'd wait a little while until Zoodle's a bit older, but when I got an e-mail the other day from a director at that little theatre, needing someone to fill a role, I started feeling that yearning. Last night it became official; I'll be playing the fun little role of Cecily Pigeon in Neil Simon's The Odd Couple.

I will only be in a couple of scenes and don't have to be at rehearsals until next week--fortuitous as it will give me time to not only start learning lines, but to make lots of use of my breast pump. I've got to get a good supply of Mommy Milk in the freezer so my sweet babe doesn't starve while I'm at the theatre--or, worse yet, have to drink formula. (Yes, that's a joke; if you've ever read vitriolic online debates between breastfeeding and formula feeding moms, you'll get it.)

We open in mid-September, and if you live in the area rest assured you'll be getting some e-mails from me begging you to show up. Based on what I know of the cast and the director, I think this is going to be a good one.

It's play time for Mommy. Yippee!

7 comments:

Shari said...

Great to hear you'll be on stage again. Can't wait to see you. It's been years since I've been on stage (not counting me and Wyatt's Vineyard Easter Debut, which I am sure is still being talked about, but only because of the great writer we had ;-), but I would love to get involved again!! I'd love to help at the theater or addition in the future if there's a website or an email list I can get on let me know.

Shari

P.S. I love reading your blog. You really make me laugh out loud!!

Sasha said...

Good for you! Sounds like something you love and really enjoy! You'll have a great time!

Shannon said...

Congratulations! It's great when you have an opportunity to get a bit of your pre-mommy self back!

beckiwithani said...

I found I got a lot more milk from the pump during the times I could pump on one side while feeding her on the other. And I think she actually LIKED that disturbing "wa-whoosh" sound.

Dan & Hillary said...

What a wonderful way to have 'Beth' time during the week. It is so hard to retain our own interests as we are wives/moms. Besides, it's cheaper than the spa! If anyone gets film footage, could you post it?

C. Beth said...

Shari--I'll e-mail you w/ instructions on how to get on the theatre's mailing list!

Hillary--With copyright/royalty laws, plays aren't supposed to be filmed without permission. If they are occasionally filmed (not that it EVER happens--wink, wink), they can't be shared online (or any other public venue) because the theatre could get in big trouble. Bummer, huh?

Mommy Vern said...

How fun! Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, my sister just graduated with the same degree, we're waiting to see when she up and moves to LA!